Breaking Your Own Rules

Over the past few years I feel like I've developed a good idea of what shapes and colours of clothing I like and what suits me. This has helped me to be a bit more ruthless with my wardrobe, in an effort to keep only the things I love and that look good on me to help me develop a wardrobe which is well worn and efficient (for want of a better word).

But sometimes it's nice to mix things up a bit.

After I won the World Cup sweepstake in work this year, I decided to spend the money on a pair of Swedish Hasbeens in their sale. I do love a clog, and decided I'd like a pair which weren't open toe, so I could wear them in Autumn/Winter but were also in a colour different from the Lotta from Stockholm pairs I already have (red and tan). These are the ones I went for:
Yellow is not a colour I wear and trust me, these are in-your-face YELLOW, way brighter than the photo. But I loved the practical style and wanted a colour that would brighten up my cold weather wardrobe. Over the last couple of years I've felt that my wintery wardrobe is so dull in colour and these clogs are one way to help remedy that.

I think they will look great with blues and dark denim or printed skirts, and they are so pretty and cheerful that I really enjoy wearing them.

I was buying wool for a jumper today and very nearly purchased a gorgeous burnt orange colour, another shade that I don't really have in my wardrobe. In the end I went with a sea blue/green but I would love to use that orange for something else.

Have you broken your own rules recently?

K x


27 comments:

  1. I wish Lotta would stock some like this, I love yellow shoes! They do actually look good with a lot more than you would imagine don't they? Complete shoe envy from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I wish there were more Lottas in the lower heel style as I can't really wear the higher ones. Maybe I should pester them for some more styles?

      Delete
  2. Those shoes are CUTE! I love them on you! Lately I've been attracted to black & white, which is odd because I've never really liked it before or felt like it worked on me, but there's nothing wrong with changing things up from time to time, right? Also, regarding the burnt orange yarn, the sweater I just frogged was in Cascade Eco Plus in 0958 Cinnamon. If you like the shade, I'd love to send it to you! I have two full skeins of it for a total of 500 g.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonja, you are so lovely to offer. However I ended up going back for the burnt orange anyway, so strong was its call! :)

      Delete
  3. I love your yellow shoes! What a brilliant idea to pair with winter colours! I haven't broken a wardrobe rule lately, but I have been experimenting with different silhouettes, much to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Experimenting with different shapes is important too isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Yeh I too won the sweepstake and I am going to get a desk from Ikea (for sewing machine) with a pullout (for overlocker) can't wait but your shoes are tempting and very lovely K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sewing desk also sounds like a brilliant way to spend your winnings

      Delete
  5. They're so cute! Congrats on winning your office game. I have a yellow ban as the color looks hideous on me, but they really are bright and cheery. Lovely way to send your winnings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cheerful! I don't think I will be wearing yellow clothing either but feet are fine :)

      Delete
  6. They're fab Kerry! I think yellow shoes are magic - they seem to go with everything. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I know you're a bit of a yellow fan

      Delete
  7. I'm a wearer of colourful shoes... they just cheer everyone up! And, since you asked, I'm considering making a dress out of the novelty print in my stash... it'll be a first for me but I recently survived novelty print pocket bags and zip fly facing so it seems a natural progression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your novelty print dress, I bet it will be just as cheerful as your bright shoes

      Delete
  8. They're so cute! Little bursts of sunshine for your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. I do love a bit of yellow and you're right, Has been yellow is so bright. I have a pair of sandals I bought last year. That's on excellent use of sweepstake money.
    Go with burnt orange. It will suit you.
    I'm breaking my own don't wear grey rule just now. I love it mixed with bright colours.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I had to go with the orange, just couldn't resist. I think grey does look nice with bright colours, but of a change from black

      Delete
  10. I definitely agree that sometimes it can be refreshing to break away from your usual style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice to have a change and challenge yourself

      Delete
  11. I love them! I'm always searching ebay for a pair in the same colour way as they are my favourite. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow is so bright, I'm not surprised you're a fan :)

      Delete
  12. Oooh, gorgeous! I have been watching lots of hasbeens on ebay, not bought yet though! A x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy hunting, hope you find a pair, They are expensive but I don't mind spending money on good quality shoes and bags plus they should last for years

      Delete
  13. Love those! I am such a clog fanatic anyway. And I love yellow, to me it's a great neutral. (That's what I tell myself, anyway.) I always feel awkward trying to figure out dark tights with shoes that aren't the same color as the tights. But today inspired by your photo, I put on my red clogs with black tights! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I have some red clogs too, I love red shoes and they do look good with black

      Delete
  14. These are lovely! I can imagine yellow working well with winter navies, grays and blacks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say