Finished: New Look Maudella Dress for #vintagepledge

A couple of months ago I went on a vintage pattern eBay binge - we've all been there, right? Specifically I fell for some New Look Maudella patterns from the early 1980s (I think, they are undated). You can see what I bought here.

I can't really put my finger on what it is about this particular era that I found (and continue to find) so compelling. As someone born in the 1980s, I've never gravitated towards fashion from the 1970s and 1980s. However in looking for practical day wear which is easy to wear and make (hello kimono sleeves) I've got right into this era. Perhaps there is some aspect of fashion in each decade that you can make your own. Even when I see patterns for crazy shoulder padded 80s suits, they're only imitating the classy 1940s silhouettes. And the 1970s isn't all about massive flares and huge collars too, the 1930s influenced looks and bohemian styles are really attractive. Anyway, I digress.

This is the first pattern I have used from my haul: New Look Maudella 6042:
 
It has a back zip and the front and back bodice pieces (and skirt pieces) are pieced together with a seam down the front. The bodice has no darts but the shaping is made by the drawstring neckline. It also has pockets in the side seams.
The fabric I used was a viscose printed with a leopard print-like pattern in a sludgey brown and vivid turquoise. I bought the fabric from the Gold Thimble in the southside of Glagsow and it was in the sale at a tempting £3 per metre. This was the second time I worked with viscose and it was a little challenging in terms of trying to cut it. However it has such a great drape and is lovely and cool to wear. I used a narrow turquoise ribbon for the neckline.

I would usually prefer to wear a belt as I think this is more flattering on me. I had bought some matching turquoise fabric to make a belt but I am actually happy with the dress as it is. Which is great because I can't be bothered making a belt now.

Due to the undarted bodice design, a drapey fabric like viscose is essential to ensure the bodice doesn't end up boxy and unflattering

Here are a couple of interior pictures:
I lined the bodice using an old bed sheet I use for muslins. The fabric isn't very see-through but I wanted to be absolutely sure that the bodice wouldn't be transparent and would be a bit weightier to support the skirt.
I had a trying time trying to level off the hem, as you can see from this picture...

This dress is the third and final item made for my #vintagepledge. I thought that making 3 items from vintage patterns this year was an achievable target and I am delighted to have met it with several months to go before the end of the year.

I might even be able to fit in another vintage pattern before the year is out! Thanks Marie for setting the challenge, it was such a good idea and it's been really fun.

K x


21 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress - and some say the 80s was a decade that taste forgot! Doesnt need a belt - and it looks so easy to wear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific dress! I was a New Wave teenager in the 80's so you can imagine my stellar wardrobe! LOL! This dress looks great on you - so flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress! A simple design, but still super effective. Might have to copy you and draft one for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is beautiful on you and the colours are spectacular. I'll have to keep an eye out for that pattern, its lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really pretty! Love the idea of the drawstring neckline- what a great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous fabric! I would've been tempted by it as well. I love the gathers in the bodice. The dress suits you well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks pretty on you. Lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dress looks brilliant, the fit is perfect and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, and definitely doesn't need a belt

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really great shape on you and I like your bargain fabric too. It might even do autumn with a cardi (the colours look perfect). You've definitely hit on a winner with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely, the shape is great and I love the fabric. I also love the photo on the envelope - the good old 80s perm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kestrel, this is divine! Designs from this era really do suit you to a tee and I love how shaping is created in the bodice through the neckline gathers! Can I also say how jealous I am that this signals the completion of your #vintagepledge!? I need to get cracking big time with mine! Thanks so much for taking part!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I have the same soft spot as you!
    I also can't resist the 70s-early 80s style and bought numerous vintage pattern mags & single patterns, despite not having access to a sewing machine currently ;)
    There's something about those lines that I find unresistable - perhaps the bohemian touch?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how soft the gathering is at the neckline. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I like the look of the gathered neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's gorgeous! Your patterns will be from around 1978, BTW. I remember making dresses really similar in sewing class at school. I loved that type of clothing for all the same reasons you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a great little dress. i'm sure you'll get plenty of wear from it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely and so flattering! Really pretty. I love the shape of the bodice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your version looks way better than the cover - well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a flattering dress, it really enhances your curves and looks fabulous! You would never think 80s to look at it, not a shoulder pad or boxy silhouette in sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't usually (or ever) reach for the 80s patterns, but actually you're quite right in pointing out the huge variety within the era, some odd, some classic. The early 80s were still hanging on to some of the best of the 70s, which is my favorite era.

    This dress is really lovely. It's a great style on you and looks comfortable to wear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say