Announcing! Spring Sewing Swap 2014

 
*SIGN UP CLOSED - PARTNERS ANNOUNCED SHORTLY*

It's that time of year again - time for a sewing swap! This is the 3rd swap I've hosted and I'm excited to get things rolling. The idea behind this swap is that each participant is allocated a swap partner who they get to know through their blog (or by contacting them directly) and then put together a package of sewing-related items you think they'd like.

Last year there were 58 bloggers taking part and the previous year I hosted the Summer Sewing Swap, in which 42 bloggers from across the world took part. You can find out more about that here.

What's this swap all about then?
 
  • You are allocated a swap partner and put together a package of sewing-related items to send to them
  • You spend up to a maximum of £15 (or local equivalent - that's US$25 at current rates  according to xe.com) purchasing sewing-related items to send to your partner. These can be new/vintage/thrifted, whatever.
  • The items may include fabric, patterns (paper or pdf), trims, buttons or similar but use your imagination to  choose what you think your partner might like. You should look at their blog to see what kind of things they like to make so you can choose something really appropriate. Although the swap is centred around sewing, you can include other crafty items if your partner is into different crafts too.
  • As a guideline, you should send 3 to 5 items (you don't have to count buttons or other notions individually though, just use your initiative here!)
What do I have to do to take part? 
  •  IMPORTANT - You need to be an active blogger to take part, and should have updated your blog in the last month and be interested in sewing (of course!). Your blog or Blogger profile must also include an email address in case I need to check details with you before partners are assigned and so your partner can contact you easily. Please do check this, it's surprising how many people don't have email addresses available on their blogs.
  • Leave a comment below to say if you are interested in taking part and I will match you up with a swap partner and post the details of your partner here - so you will need to keep an eye on the blog for updates.
Why do I have to have a blog to take part?
It means your swap partner can stalk your blog to see what kind of things you like and also because you're less likely to flake out and not fully participate. Sorry, I don't mean to be exclusive about this but it just helps to make things a bit more transparent.
I'm not sure that I sew enough to be a 'sewing blogger'. Can I still take part?
Sewing fans of all backgrounds and abilities are welcome and I know that many of you blog about other crafts too. If you are new to sewing, you can contact your partner to tell them this and perhaps they can pick some things perfect for a newbie. Or if you need guidance selecting gifts for an avid seamstress, just email them for some hints on what they would like. This swap doesn't have to be conducted with the minimum of communication, but I will try and match you with someone who has some level of similarity to you.

What about postage costs?
Postage costs are not included in the £15 maximum spend. In your comment, please specify if you would like a partner who lives in the same country as you to keep postage costs down or if you are happy to post worldwide. 
How much time have I got for this?
I'll keep sign up open until Thursday 22nd May at 5pm GMT to allow everyone time to sign up and then I will spend around a week matching partners, then you have 5 weeks to choose and send items - i.e. 5 weeks from that date until your partner receives their package.
Can I shop from my stash?
 Yes, if you have items that you think your swap partner will like, this swap is all about sending thoughtful sewing-related items. Just keep in mind the guidelines on spend and number of items.
What if I took part before?
 I will make sure that you are matched up with someone different from last time
When the partners are announced what do I need to do?
Contact them to say hello and find out their address. If you want some help picking what to send, you can email to ask what kind of things they like, or sizes for patterns etc. I'll go over the guidelines again when swap partners are posted.
Is there some kind of blog button I can use then?
Yes!
Medium Size  - 300 x 300 pixels.


Small Size - 150 x 150 pixels

Save and then link to this link which will link to all the Swap posts on this blog:

http://www.kestrelmakes.com/search/label/Spring%20Sewing%20Swap%202014

 OK, I'm in! Remind me what I do next....

  • Comment below by Thursday 22nd May at 5pm GMT to sign up, remembering that you must be an active blogger and have an email address accessible through your Blogger profile or blog. 
  • Include in your comment if you would prefer your swap partner to be from the same continent/country, or from anywhere in the world.
If you have any questions you can comment below or email me on kerry@kestrelmakes.com

K x

59 comments:

  1. Yay I'm in! I was a little sad that I couldn't participate last year but now I can. I love that you are hosting this again, it was so much fun 2 years ago :) I'm happy to ship internationally and my e-mailadress is inge (at) ingemaakt.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely idea and a great way to get to know some new people. I would love to be added to the list. If possible I would prefer to be partnered with someone also in the UK and my email address is makesnbakes (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to participate! I would prefer someone in the US. Blog: Made by Meg: megmadethis.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to join in! Just because RM is brutal I'd prefer a UK partner but I'm open to an international buddy if it makes your life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting to know another blogger and receiving nice stuff in the post- this sounds like brilliant fun! I'm up for that. I'm happy to be paired with someone international. My email address is on my blog sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to take part again! I'd prefer someone in the UK and my email is dottiedoodle (at) gmail (dot) com. Thank you for organising!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo this sounds great so I would love to participate. If possible, I'd prefer to be paired with someone in the UK and my email address is astudyinstitching@gmail.com

    Thank you for organising!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to be in, too. I'm from Germany. I'd prefer someone from Europe, but anyone else will be ok, too. I'm more from the kids sewing community side so I hope that it's ok for me to take part (I do some selfish sewing, but am still very basic there...). I'll advertise this on my blog and facebook page so maybe I won't be the only one sewing more for kids than for herself...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a bit of fun, please count me in. I'm UK based and would prefer a UK swap partner to keep postage costs affordable please.
    Just in case I'm one of the naughty ones... clippedcurves {at} gmail {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this last year so count me in again! I'm happy to post anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sign me up! I'm in the UK but am happy to be paired worldwide. I'm Charlotte at www.englishgirlathome.com & my email is powell2317 (at) hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Forgot to mention that I'd prefer someone in the States but I am open to doing an international swap if needed.

      Delete
  13. Hello, I am in uk and would prefer someone from Europe. My email,address is draculashbv(at) gmail (dot) com I like surprises ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to take part please! Would prefer a UK swap partner if poss but happy to do international if you need me to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes please! Would love to take part again. Would prefer a UK based partner if that's ok. Thank you for organising this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes please! I'd love to take part and I'm happy to post anywhere. Thanks for organising. rachelmjaques@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes yes yes, count me in! I love these swaps that you organise, so much fun. :-D

    macska at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm interested! This sounds like fun. I'd prefer someone in the U.S. but I am open to doing an international swap if needed. My email is vintagvisions27@gmail.com
    -Emily


    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to participate!! Swapping with someone in Europe would be ideal, but worldwide is totally fine too. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had such fun participating last year, so please count me in for this year! I am in Canada but I don't mind posting worldwide!
    Deborahleejones@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to do a sewing swap!! This sounds like such a great idea and I can't wait - I think I'd prefer someone from the USA, but if I get matched with someone abroad, that's fine too. :-) My email is kmjones3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like fun as always! I am in NZ but would prefer a swap in the Northern Hemisphere, as it is fun to see the different stuff we can all get hold of! Especially given I have a craft shop so pretty much sell everything available here. :) My email is in my blog but I think you ahve it already. Thank you for organising!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm looking forward to participating again this year and am willing to ship internationally (I'm in the US). My blog is Mrs Hughes and my website address is: www.tanyamaile.com

    Thanks for putting this together!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes please! It was fun last year - I am happy to post anywhere :)

    My email is liz [dot] alexandre [at] gmail [dot] com

    Thanks for organising!
    I

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes please! I love your swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My favorite time of year! I had so much fun doing this last year. Sign me up please!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really enjoyed the swap I did last year on a different blog, so this sounds like fun! I'd prefer to have a partner from North America, but I can do international if needed. My blog is at http://sew-and-so.blogspot.com, and my email is sunnyb64 at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  28. YAY! Love the sewing swap :) Please count me in! Would prefer to ship within the US, if possible - thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds like fun. I'd love to take part but I'm afraid I'd need matching with someone in the UK as I can't do international postage. Looking forward to the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Realised I posted with wrong details. Here's my wordpress details. E-mail is Sewcial.warrior@gmail.com. Looking forward to the swap

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yeah, I'm in. International is fine. Email is on my About Me page. chery at orangeisaneutral.ca

    ReplyDelete
  32. I want to try!%) I am in Canada. Postage is pretty high here but I would be glad to ship internationally. It will be my first SWAP%) dolsi1 @ yandex dot ru

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi there! I'm keen to join in this year. I'm based in New Zealand but am happy to send internationally, although they will have to keep in mind that it's autumn rather than spring here :)
    Email is tworandomwordsblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fun idea. I would love to join. I'm from the Netherlands, and don't mind to send abroad. My email adress is saskiavandantzig at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That sounds like a lot of fun! I´m in!
    My e-mail is on my blogger profile and I am from Austria :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so in! I'm happy to send things abroad. My blog is strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com and my address is leah.franqui@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'd love to take part. I'm happy to swap worldwide. My blog is shessewbusy.blogspot.co.uk and e.mail is I.am.crowbird@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'd love to take part, but I only manage to get a blog post out every month or so (despite all my intentions otherwise!) If I'm still eligible though I'm totally keen! And like MrsC, I'm in New Zealand but would love to be paired internationally to get something that we can't get down here!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ok I'm in- sounds exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Sounds wonderful, count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm in, and would prefer a partner who's also in the US. Thanks for hosting the swap again! It's so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. weird - i really thought i had signed up to this already but just skimmed the comments and couldn't spot my post! i'm in! i would prefer uk but would swap worldwide if that's easier. email - joanne.lambert(at) gmail.com and blog is http://www.somanypatternssewlittletime.blogspot.com. thanks for organising kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi! Sign me up. I'm in Ireland and would be happy to swap worldwide. I haven't blogged in awhile (I have been sewing I promise!), but if you want to know a bit more about me to match me up let me know.
    stonecottageblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi, this sounds fun and I would like to joim even though I only just started my blog! I'm in France but feel free to team me up with anyone, irrespective of location. Thanks for organizing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention the address of my blog: www.theeclecticseamstress.com

      Delete
  45. I am so in! I would love to swap with anyone world wide. My blog is www.musingsofaseamstress.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Please sign me in. I'm a new blogger in the United States, but I would love to start interacting with other people who sew. My blog is: http://toileandtrouble.wordpress.com/ and my email is terrorsaurusdax at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is such a wonderful idea, count me in please my blog is at http://sarahrozelaar.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  48. Count me in. I'm UK based but don't mind worldwide! (beebeesvintagedress@hotmail.co.uk incase my widget doesn't work!)

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'd love to participate again. The last two years were so mouch fun and I met lovely ladies, so please count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Just signing up in the nick of time as I haven't managed to get involved before ;o) Thanks for hosting Kerry, it's all very exciting! I don't mind being paired up with an Intl buddy either!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi nothing like leaving it to the last minute! I'd like to be involved please. No preference for where partner is based. Not done this before!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi,
    what a fabulous idea - I'd love to take part and I don't mind shipping internationally... or nationally (UK)

    (I was an active blogger up until last June but I then got caught up in a very big project at work so blogging until just recently hasn't fitted into time available (been sewing and knitting just not blogging about it)

    There is an email address in the whose appetite section of my other blog www.appetiteforcake.co.uk

    pennie

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is brilliant! I would love to take part and get to know some other sewing people. I would prefer a UK based partner if possible please.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I would love to participate with someone in the US. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Ack! I've been slammed at school & been unable to read this post until now. Is it too late to squeeze in just after the last moment? I had such fun participating last year & have been looking forward to this year. I'd be willing to ship anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, don't worry, we can fit you in! x

      Delete
  56. I'm sad that I missed this opportunity! I found this through another blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say