Maudella Madness

I have become a little bit fixated on Maudella patterns. Enabled, of course, by eBay and having some money in my Paypal account from selling a few things. Despite my best intentions, money never stays in there for long, it's like free money to be reinvested in eBay. after sewing blogs, Paypal is the biggest enabler ever - "Oh, do you like that thing you've seen on eBay? Look, here's some money in your account and in a few clicks, it's yours..."

Anyway, I'm not sure how it started but this was the first one I bought:
Maudella 6039 -  Lovely practical daywear dress, right? Uncut and factory folded, and a steal at £1.24. I love the options for the triangular insert and the contrast binding at the armholes, options worthy of any modern independent pattern company.

Then I looked at the other patterns the seller had listed - a whole load of unused Maudella patterns from around the same era, although I'm not sure exactly what date as they are undated. By the illustration style I'm guessing late 70s/early 80s. The Maudealla company was started in 1937 but was taken over my New Look in the 1970s. It looks like the Maudella branding was gradually phased out to become New Look, and New Look is now owned by Simplicity.

The next three patterns I bought are all numbered close to each other so I think I have honed in on a very specific season.

Here they are:

 Maudella 6038 - 99p and reminded me of a variation on the Wiksten Tova pattern that I like so much

 Maudella 6034 - Also 99p. I was definitely swayed by the illustration of the bobbed lady on the left. I think I want to be her.
 
 Maudella 6042 - A whole £3.50 but what a lovely summer dress. Again, I love the headscarf lady

The seller cut me a postage deal and the four patterns together were about a tenner. Utter bargain, don't you think?

And then I bought this Simplicity number from 1974:
Simplicity 7272 - It's missing a back facing but was only 99p. I like both the tunic and the dress and the embroidery (transfer included) looks like a nice feature if you could be bothered

Prior to this mini pattern splurge and the Sewaholic Belcarra blouse which I bought on its release, I haven't bought a sewing pattern for about a year so pattern stash re-invigoration is definitely due. Buying these patterns has reminded me how great vintage patterns can be, plus it seems like I am developing a pattern era that I really love. No more fancy 1950s dresses for me, but hello useful and practical 70s/early 80s patterns that I can wear every day. I definitely like some of the modern independent patterns plus some of the classic styles from the big pattern companies, but I'm enjoying finding a pattern era that feels like 'me'.

Do you have a preferred era or pattern company that feels like 'you'?

K x

34 comments:

  1. You have some lovely patterns there - very wearable, classic lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think they're pretty classic too

      Delete
  2. Very nice patterns all! I have the same problem with money in my PayPal account, LOL! And vintage pattern-buying certainly does seem to snowball on me. Right now I'm obsessed with a line (I think from the 60s and 70s) called "Polynesian Patterns" - exactly what it sounds like: muumuus and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. Polynesian Patterns sound wild!

      Delete
  3. I love Maudella! on occasion I start collecting them and then get distracted by other things. I like 80's and 90's patterns which most people boke at - you just need to be able to see through the dodgy envelope illustrations/photographs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ability to look past some dated illustrations is definitely a plus isn't it, quite often some great styles underneath

      Delete
  4. I share your Maudella love and actually have that first pattern! I keep wondering if I can make it work with my large bust though. I think I would have to muslin it first. Also, totally agree on all tunic etc purchases. Don't get me wrong '50's dresse are fab if you're not doing too much. But active lifestyles need active clothes! Happy sewing your 'new' styles x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Philippa, a go-to throw-on wardrobe is definitely best. I'm sure many of these would work just fine with a little FBA fiddling. Now I need to go back through my pattern stash!

      Delete
    2. You should definitely make up the pattern! I think the pattern with triangular insert would be flattering on a large bust as that would 'break up' the area, surely?

      Delete
  5. The bobbed lady on the left has your shirt on :) Personally I like the 40's. I'm a child of the 60's so clothes from the 70's and 80's are still in my memory. If you can find an era you like and works with your lifestyle, you are all set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, so she does! :) There are some lovely 40s patterns, I have a button back dress I'd like to make one day

      Delete
  6. I'm a Maudella fan as well - I have a couple in my 'collection' - one is a shirt similar to the second pattern that you have above. I remember these being affordable as a new seamstress in the '80's - you know, those days when you would by fabric, a pattern, the notions you needed and then made up the garment before moving onto the next garment - such simple days!! I look forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do some to do some great patterns don't they? A look in my stash has reveled a few more from a similar era

      Delete
  7. These are all lovely, particularly the first dress. It's very like the BHL Anna dress! And, yes, the bobbed hair lady looks great. You are nearly there -you kind of have her hair already! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, yes it's very similar to the Anna dress (which I also have and haven't made yet, ahem!). I just got my hair cut and it's even more similar to her hair :)

      Delete
  8. I am unfamiliar with Maudella, but now I must google. (I don't need patterns/I don't need patterns...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does not surprise me. This is the time I was learning to sew as a girl, and the clothes really were lovely, plus very fetching to a figure like yours. And when you make them up in 2014, they don't look nearly as dated as the pattern envelope artwork would suggest (flicky hair? Ugh!!). Good haul! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yeah the hair is very much 'of its time isn't it?' I won't be replicating that :)

      Delete
  10. Oooh, what bargains...and so much #vintagepledge fodder ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I hope to be able to make more than the 3 vintage patterns I was aiming for

      Delete
  11. Oh I found a Maudella pattern the the 2nd hand shop and wondered where they were from... I figure from the "New Look" on the envelopes they morphed into New Look.... mine is older and no mention of New Look. I like the shirtdress style pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shirtdress looks quite easy to wear 9and make) doesn't it? I'm glad to have filled in a bit of info for you about Maudella

      Delete
  12. These are so fun and so you! I can TOTALLY relate to the PayPal money feeling like free money syndrome... it's terrible! As for decades, I tend to love vintage patterns from the early to mid '60's, especially the younger styles with very mod looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really suit those 60s patterns, definitely the era that works for you

      Delete
  13. These patterns are great! My favs are the first two and actually Simplicity has a tunic very similar to NL 6038. I love patterns from the 70's - check out the espadrilles on the pattern drawings too - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought it would happen but I'm really growing to love some of the 70s styles

      Delete
  14. Ooh I especially love those trousers, such a flattering design and awesome flares, my fave! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they cool? Flares will probably be right back in fashion by the time I get around to making them though...

      Delete
  15. Heh, glad I'm not the only one to see PayPal money as free money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's dangerous - and totally negates the money I make selling things on eBay!

      Delete
  16. Ooh some excellent choices there. I love the triangle inset dress. I have a top pattern that's similar!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Maudella too - I just picked up a late 70s/early 80s jumpsuit/playsuit pattern for £1.50. It's almost identical to an outfit my 26 year old daughter just bought. Her eyes lit up when she saw it - I think we will be busy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely finds, thanks for sharing!
    Do post if u dive into Belcarra. I want to make it up soon and need to figure out how to fit my giant back into it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say