Finished: The 50s-90s Skirt for #vintagepledge

About a year ago when I was pregnant and had no discernible waistline, I bought a skirt from a charity shop. Reckoning that it was about the same size waist as I used to be, I packed it away in the hope I'd be able to wear it once there was no longer a baby around my middle.
 
Homemade vintage (70s?) skirt snapped up for £1.99, blogged here 

This is the skirt - and I can fit in it now!:

I also like the length, which I suppose is midi length and feels elegant.

As I liked the skirt so much I thought I could make another one using this skirt as a template - pretty easy, just four pieces and a waistband. However I checked my pattern stash in case I had a similar pattern that would save me tracing one off the skirt - lo and behold this beauty fitted the bill:
Butterick 6167 - I think I got it in an ebay pattern lot, but it's definitely been in my stash for a couple of years. Although the envelope illustration is very 80s, it's a great classic shape

When I say fitted the bill, I mean that it was exactly, EXACTLY the same size when set against the skirt. This four-gore style is a pretty classic one I suppose so I was chuffed that not only was I saved the bother of tracing a pattern but that the new skirt would count for the second garment of my #vintagepledge. WIN!

Now for fabric:
This feels like the most appropriate fabric I could use for the Vintage Pledge, as it was purchased from Marie of A Stitching Odyssey - the originator of the Pledge. Last year Marie was selling some of her stash and I was taken by this fabric. It's a lovely soft cotton sateen and I love the bright green although when it arrived I did wonder what on earth I was going to make with it and wasn't sure that I liked it as much as I originally thought. Actually the pattern looked a bit 1990s to me, with the faded and darker areas of green and the tribal-ish pattern. Oh dear. The 90s are not my favourite decade.

When I looked at the fabric with fresh eyes some months later, I had come back around again, and the pattern was reminding me more of 1950s designs and ink drawings plus I did love the vibrant green. Phew! As such an eye catching design, I felt that it would be best as skirt so it could be paired with a plain top. This suits my style pretty well and I wanted it to be a garment I'd get lots of use out of.

The pattern was easy to put together - all I did was to add a smidge of length to the waistband and used a slightly smaller seam allowance on the side seams, since the waist size leaves no room for eating and I like to be able to eat. Interestingly, the pattern is cut to a size 16 which is a 29 1/2" waist - isn't that crazily small for a 16??!! I know that vintage patterns are always smaller but this one is only about the 80s.
I also added pockets, of course, using a pattern piece from another pattern. For where else do I put my used tissue collection?
(Don't be alarmed, that's a tube of stupid cables behind me, not a massive snake)

I gave the skirt its maiden outing to my friend's wedding reception ceilidh and it performed admirably. I have also worn it more casually to the beach, so hooray that it's very versatile and I think it'll get loads more wear in the Spring/Summer and even into Autumn.

K x

36 comments:

  1. Definitely need those pockets ~ just love your skirt ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yep, pockets are such an essential

      Delete
  2. lovely! i really like the print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh love both of those! It's always a nice feeling to find a long enough skirt/dress in the charity shops :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Most of the high street ones are way too short for me

      Delete
  4. I really like the fabric and the pattern - wonderful vintage make :) I have to get some of my other patterns out, as lately I seem to be using the same couple over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Char. Making a favourite pattern definitely has its advantages though as you can usually make it so much quicker

      Delete
  5. This looks great! And how nice that you didn't have to bother with tracing- I'm always *going* to do that, but never actually do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's not a big deal but the thought is always a bit off putting and great if you can get away without it

      Delete
  6. What a classic skirt pattern! I bet you could find something similar from just about any decade. The thrifted skirt is also pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, it's a great classic shape

      Delete
  7. I think you've paired up the perfect pattern for the fabric- it hangs beautifully and I do really love the vibrant green. Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winnie, I am very chuffed with the fabric and pattern pairing

      Delete
  8. I love the colour and it looks great as a skirt. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that colour! Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's such a vibrant colour, you'll definitely be able to spot me :)

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! I love the fabric, right up my street; and also yey to the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne! I do love to add pockets and usually regret it if I don't add them as I'm in a rush to make something

      Delete
  11. Love the fabirc, it looks perfect, no wonder you got compliments at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison, it's a very versatile skirt

      Delete
  12. Both are fabulous! Great for spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mela, I'm hoping they'll see a lot of wear

      Delete
  13. I too love this vintage style. That shape seems to have been going since 1940 and still looks great now! I agree about the length, too - I recently made a longer skirt and it does feel different to wearing a shorter one. Btw, love the humour in your post. You had me giggling several times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa! Glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous skirt. I love the shape and the midi length looks great on you. Lovely fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect ceilidh dancing skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A classic gored or half circle skirt is a wardrobe essential! I have several Hollyburns which have a similar shape, they go with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh it is a bit like the Hollyburn, I'll have to try with a knee length version too

      Delete
  17. It's super cute and really suits you, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do look very elegant if I say so myself

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say