Vintage Knitting Bonanza

I made a great charity shop score yesterday lunchtime:

   Vintage knitting patterns!

I went for a quick walk via a charity shop I often visit, and spied a box of vintage patterns. After wading through the usual 1980s baby patterns I found quite a few gems. I only bought about a third of what I originally picked out, as they were 49p each and I didn't want to spend a fortune. In the end, I made out very well for £5, trying to select ones which were different from patterns I already had, or ones which I thought I had a reasonable chance of making one day.

Here's a few highlights:


A 1930s pattern book - I don't have any patterns as early as this, so I was so happy to find it. I love the sweater on the left.

 Turban and gloves set - I think Bestway patterns are my absolute favourite

 
 Sweet sweaters

 Swimwear....OK, I will never make a knitted swimsuit. But come on, how could you not buy these?!

I think this is the best vintage knitting pattern find I have ever made. I could have bought more but resisted, so I hope some other vintage knitting fan appreciates my generosity - ha!

K x

17 comments:

  1. Ooh great finds! Love the gloves one, its v pretty. My fave local charity shop always has tons of patterns, I'll keep an eye out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, those are such fun! I LOVE the swimsuit - man I wish those were wearable!

      Delete
  2. Those are wonderful, and I love the butter-wouldn't-melt expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome finds! I had a recent freak treasure trove turn up at my local Sally Am recently...feels good, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A brilliant find Kestrel. I have the fair isle set also and I too like the swimming cossies, but I think my boobs might slip out of the racy one on the left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a find!! I like the fair isle jumper and cardigan in the first photo, and aren't the hair dos amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great find! the fair isle twinset looks very like the twinset in A Stitch In Time Vol2! look forward to seeing future makes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous loot...and well done on being so restrained!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloves! Fair Isle twinsets! Swimsuits?! WTF. I could only imagine what an anchor that wet knitted swimsuit would turn into after a dip in the ocean. It's cute, but lethal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's all very well looking glam in a knitted swimsuit before you go in the water - after is a different matter! :)

      Delete
  9. Wow - what a great vintage knitting pattern haul!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous - I collect vintage knitting patterns too - I particularly love the poses they use to advertise the garments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooohhh, talk about one heck of a seriously marvelous haul. Awesome finds, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, these are so fab! Even if you don't get to make some of them, that's a great find and just think of the therapy that they bring, just looking at them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are some great finds! I must admit I am a bit jealous, but I am really looking forward to your future knitting projects now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say