Knitting Blues

This week I have been finishing off a couple of baby items for a friend from work, as well as soldiering on with my vintage Bestway jumper. For Baby Oran I made the Little Coffee Bean Cardigan, which is available for free on Ravelry. The pattern is for a striped cardigan but as I had colour graduating wool (if that's the right word for it) I knit it plain. I wanted to use buttons from my stash but as I couldn't find 5 of the same in the right size, I went with an assortment. I think this looks ok, and since my work pal is a creative lady I hope she'll appreciate the offbeat look!


To go with the cardigan I made another Aviatrix hat in matching yarn:


And for myself, progress has been made with my Bestway sweater. Now, this is the 4th time I have started this project. The first time I got as far as the start of the pattern and decided it would be easier to knit fairisle in the round. The second time I got to the same place and realised it was far too big. The third time I knit about a centimetre of rib and realised that I had managed to twist it when I had joined the stitches together at the beginning. I have never done this before despite having been doing circular knitting for several years. It is one of those thing you get warned about when you join the stitches but I've managed to get away without making this mistake thus far.



I can't tell you how glad I am to be finished knitting all that rib. Especially when I've had to do it so many times. It's exciting to see the colour pattern develop, but I'm finding knitting with three colours really challenging - and slow. I can handle two colours fine, with one type of yarn in each hand, but I'm a little baffled as to how best to cope with three yarns at once without getting into too much of a tangle.


I know I will be working on this sweater for many a week, but have some other smaller knitting projects to fit it alongside it too.

One thing I will be following closely in the future is the Vintage Knitting College, hosted by Tasha of By Gum by Golly! I am very much looking forward to reading Tasha's posts as she shares her vintage knitting experience.

K x

4 comments:

  1. How cute are your baby knits!?! And your sweater looks scarily intricate, but it will be sooo worth it when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely lovely knitting inspiration!! The blue is beautiful. I like the subtle stripiness. And well, I shall only be an observer and admirer of multi coloured fairisle. No way I'd attempt something like that - what a wonderful challenge that'll be such a pleasure to wear ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cardi is absolutely beautiful, I bet your friend will be thrilled. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors you choose for your Bestway Sweater! It looks great so far, even if it did take 4 times to perfect. :)

    I too am anxiously awaiting Tasha's post about fair isle and colorwork.... It's gonna be so helpful for my colorwork newbie-ness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say