Knitting and Weaving


I've been feverishly knitting away at a couple of neckwarmers, using this great pattern by Sarah Fama. I'm onto number 4 and I'll likely make a couple more as they make great presents and are the perfect size to use one skein of Rowan Silky Tweed.

I spent nearly an hour in Mandor's today, perusing their beautiful fabric selection. Unfortunately I couldn't find quite the right one for my dress but bought some poly cotton sheeting to make a toile, though I won't get started on that for a few weeks, til I get back from holiday.

Another interesting charity purchase today - a vintage children's loom;

It comes with instructions and pattern information;

As well as a pile of wool and even some examples - I don't know how well you can see in the picture, but there is a long light grey piece which is rolled up, and a black square which has been folded into a rectangle and sewn at the sides to make a pocket.

I was pretty impressed when I saw how good the quality of the fabric looks as I've never tried using a loom before but thought it might be a good way to use up some odds and ends of wool. Again, I won't be getting started with this for a few weeks but am quite excited about the possibilities, if I can figure out how to use it.

I think I've been inspired to explore weaving ever since a visit to the studio of a weaver, Angarad McLaren at the Briggait in Glasgow. Her work is beautiful and well worth checking out.

In the meantime, back to the knitting...

K x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say