Finished: Light Denim Roberts Dress

So I made a second version of the Marilla Walker Roberts dungaree dress (first here), this time in a lighter denim. Like last time I used a cotton print for the bib lining and pocket bags (from the same fabric used for this skirt) but this time I made a much nicer job in finishing it inside. Last time I pinked the seams - which is absolutely fine, except the weave on my denim is a little loose and it's not holding up so well to washing. This time I serged.
I even bothered to put in a label.

If you read my post on returning flawed fabric, you might be interested to know that  this dress is made using the fabric that had the central fade line. Happily I was able to avoid the fading by folding the fabric edges into the middle. That worked for this pattern as the fabric was wide and pattern pieces fitted on. You can see a few light crease-type fade marks on the picture below, but nothing serious, and I did get a voucher to compensate me for the damaged fabric too, so I was happy.
I also sewed the button/popper placket correctly this time. I chose copper Prym poppers to go with the light denim, instead of the antique brass from last time. This time I was using the more recent instructions for the pattern instead of the older version I had used before, and had no problems with it at all. So hooray for that.
Not much to say about this pattern, except that I love it. Don't be surprised if you see another version on the blog again, though it won't be for a while as I have managed to put together a long list of things I want to sew - who doesn't in the Spring time?

K x

16 comments:

  1. Very cute! It sounds like it went better for you than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes I used the up to date instructions and there was way less head scratching this time

      Delete
  2. It looks fab! Love the cotton print lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm a fan of using scraps for fun linings

      Delete
  3. I love it, too! It looks wonderful on. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really tempted by this pattern. If only I had time. Looks amazing on you. Are those poppers hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not hard - there are Youtube videos which are helpful to stop you getting confused about which bit goes where but I've done it a few times now and love the look they give as well as being easy to do now

      Delete
  5. Love your jumper especially the lining! It's something you'll probably wear completely to threads :) My first garment ever sewn looked very much like this! I was 17, it was 1972 and I was in an evening sewing class (yes I was the youngest in the class!) and I made my jumper out of a wide whale purple corduroy. It was a smash hit in my class but what was thrilling to me at the time was that all my friends in school loved it too and asked me where I bought it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A purple cord version sounds fantastic, and sounds like it sparked off a lifelong love of sewing for you

      Delete
  6. So cute! You should make one for the little one and you could mommy and me...well, on second thought. Cute version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tempt me, I think she would probably love one!

      Delete
  7. This looks great Kerry! Perfect for spring too. I'm with Sylvia - matching ones would be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fab pinafore. This looks brilliant. Very stylish but comfy. A hard combination but you are rocking it. I love the contrast lining. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes stylish but comfy indeed x

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say