Catching Up

It feels like so long since I wrote a proper post about something I've made, with photos. Even though I still read blogs all the time, it seems that it's getting harder to do any blogging of my own. No apologies, that's just life sometimes, and it's been a bit of a rocky few months. But I do feel sad about it because I used to love blogging as a way to feel part of the online sewing community. Now, I do most of my interaction via Instagram, and having a blog is no longer necessary to participate in the community online. 
I have got a few items of clothing to share in later posts but I'll start off with a super simple, stash busting crochet project. I brought together a rainbow of DK wool oddments from old projects and have been making a giant granny square. I used the basic Granny Square Blanket pattern by Sarah Hearn, and crochet each colour until it runs out, whether that's at the end of a round or not.

My crochet skills are really basic but I love how easy this project has been. It's been interesting watching how the colours seem to change in tone as new colours are added to the blanket. When I added the turquoise it seemed so jarring against the reds and yellows, but now it seems absolutely fine.

I've just finished adding the multi-toned blue wool and have decided to continue the blanket by adding to two ends so that it becomes more rectangular than square, as this is a far more useful shape. I have a multitude of blankets that are in stupid sizes already. Next comes a darker blue, then I have a wee bit of purple but I'm planning to buy some purple and then a neutral black or grey to finish off both ends. 
 
It often seems the way that a 'stash busting' project results in having to buy more supplies, but at least I have made a useful project from a whole lot of odds and ends.

K x

14 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way - I haven't blogged for almost 2 years! Having two kids and life got in the way. I still like reading other blogs but don't think I'll be updating my blog anytime soon... Liking your blanket wip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sabs - yes really hard to get any time to think about blogging!

      Delete
  2. Life does often get in the way of blogging. Love your blanket the colours work really well.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! No worries, I am in exactly the same position blogging wise so know just how you are feeling. I am barely keeping up with everyone's posts and I really, really miss it. No time for sewing either. I LOVE your blanket. The colours look amazing together and it has such a lovely retro feel to it. Hope that things are great for you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's rubbish you don't even have time for sewing!Hope you get some time to yourself soon x

      Delete
  4. Hello. Sorry to hear you've been having a rocky few months, I hope things settle down soon. I still love reading blogs, and enjoy posting, just don't do it as often as I'd like. I love your crochet blankets, the colours all look great together! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn :) You've been blogging much more than me recently, am hoping to make time to get a batch of stuff photographed though, as I have written up the posts but need the photos!

      Delete
  5. Love this bright blanket. I started a corchet blanket before B was born, which is still sitting in a bag somewhere - I need to get on with it!

    Sorry to hear that the past few months have been rocky - hopefully things will be better going forward. I finally gave up on my blog - I do miss it though, but instagram seems to suit me better :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shivani x I miss your blog! But it's so much easier and more straightforward to use Instagram isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean, I think social media and in particular Instagram has meant many people doing more manageable 'micro-blogging' on there. I do miss blogging but not enough to get my bum in gear often enough to actually do any. Your crochet skills look excellent and you're right, the blanket looks like a Rothko!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. It's getting photos that seems to be the main problem for me - especially hard in the winter!

      Delete
  8. It's so difficult to try and get good photos over the winter! Love your blanket, good luck with the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely, hard to get the light for photos and also my house currently has so few options for decent plain backgrounds too

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say