Made Recently - Sewn, Knit & Knotted

I've got into the habit of posting a lot of things I'm making on Instagram. It's so easy for sharing 'in progress' pictures and informal snapshots that don't seem good enough for the blog. Or for posting pictures of another garment that there's not much to say about because it's a pattern I've made before.

To redress the balance a little (because I still love blogging!) here are 3 projects made recently - 2 of which I've put on Instagram but individually they didn't seem to merit a blog post. Each was a quick make in its own way, but no less satisfying or significant for that.

Sewn

Another Sewaholic Renfrew. My go-to jersey top pattern. This time I didn't use the hem band and sleeve bands and just turned and stuck with Steam a Seam and then sewed with a double needle. Not sure I really like the finish for the sleeves though, they are a little flarey but this may be because the fabric is quite light. The fabric was a £5/m Liberty bargain from Mandors a couple of years ago. It's beautiful drapey stuff and I love the bright colours against the black.

Knitted



















My lovely friend bought me some wool for my birthday in March - 100g of Studio Donegal Aran in this lovely red with multi-coloured flecks. Looking for a hat with cables, I found the Allen Hat Pattern on Ravelry, a free pattern with lovely cable details. It was quick and easy to knit and I added a pom pom. Delighted with the result and it's lovely and soft and cosy.

Knotted 



I've been keen to get some plant hangers so I can hang plants in the porch of my house. When Coco Wawa Crafts posted a picture on Instagram of some colourful hangers made using the tutorial on her blog, I knew I had to buy some of the jersey yarn to have a go. It comes in a great range of colours and apart from the yarn, all that is needed is a metal ring for hanging. I had a couple of spare metal curtain rings that I used and making the hanger just involved measuring lengths of the yarn and knotting it. It's so easy to do!

Here are some pictures of the hangers in situ:

I've got a lot of the yarn left over, so thing I may try crocheting with it.

After making the pinafore dress I posted recently, I have been working on a Halloween costume for Miss Kestrel, a scrap quilt and some other projects to use up fabric I already have. How sensible!

K x

11 comments:

  1. I love the Liberty fabric you've used for the top. Is the Renfrew top designed for both or just for sleeve bands? Just wondered if maybe it needed to be thinned down a bit at the end if you're not using the sleeve bands? Not that it's noticeable anyway, well not to anyone except you!
    Those plant holder are brilliant. they remind me of the string macramé plant holders my mum made when we were wee.
    I'm way behind on blogging too, Instagram is great but it is nice to read, and write, posts with a bit more detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Renfrew is designed to have sleeve bands so maybe a bit of narrowing would improve the look, as you suggest. I was thinking about making macrame holders but these are so much easier!

      Delete
  2. Ooo, I love the Liberty jersey top. Off to google that fabric now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you manage to find it - I can't remember what the design is called but I have seen it on a few different types of fabric, not just jersey

      Delete
    2. It's called Alma - thanks to MrsC :-)

      Delete
  3. Your makes are always lovely. I really want to have a go at Macrame,. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to try proper macrame at some point too, love the hanging plants look!

      Delete
  4. you had me at the Alma Liberty!!! I have it in the Tana lawn for a sundress and I am so excited because every sighting I've had of it over the years has made me want to own a dress made of it. YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha - Alma! So that's the design name. It would be beautiful as a tana lawn sundress

      Delete
  5. No wonder it is your go to top, it is really well fitting and so useful. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh thanks for that, I've been looking for a cable hat pattern to use up some yarn, this might just be the one! I love the wool you used :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say