Finished: Chicken Pakora Jumper

  
I love this jumper. I didn't think I needed a plain jumper in my life, but I was taken with the simplicity of the Ysolda Blank Canvas pattern and fell in love with the burnt orange wool. So much did I love the wool that even though I bought a different shade first, I had to go back to the shop and swap it for this, as I couldn't stop thinking about this colour. It's lovely.
(Sorry for the serious face)
The wool is Drops Lima which is a mix of wool and alpaca, and is very slightly fuzzy. The colour has a real depth to it, with tones of red, orange and yellow. The first photo shows the colour best, all the others look too yellow.

I love the shape of the pattern with the vertical decreases on the front and back to give a feminine shape. It has raglan-esque sleeves, which are shaped in an interesting way - described by Ysolda as being a mix between a saddle shoulder and a raglan. I think the whole design is so flattering. It is shaped without being skin-tight fitted. I went for 3/4 sleeve length as stated in the pattern because I thought this was a bit more elegant than full sleeves. If you were knitting full sleeves you would also need to slim down the sleeve towards the cuff.
 Back view - excuse the wrinkle. Perhaps this means I need to do some kind of sway back adjustment but I have no idea how to do this for knitting and I certainly can't be bothered finding out. I've got an 'out of sight, out of mind' view about this one. Also my shoulders look so broad here, no wonder I always struggle with fit in this area.

How was the pattern to knit? Great! Easy, and I enjoyed it as a mostly mindless knit while relaxing. The only thing I didn't like was the neckband. The pattern is kit from the bottom up and has you cast off at front and back then pick up stitches on front and back pieces and on the diagonal (for sides of neckband). I found this time-consuming and tricky, and mentioned this in my Ravelry notes on the project. Ysolda actually replied to say that the reason for doing it this way was to prevent the neck stretching out of shape over time. This makes sense and I appreciated Ysolda commenting. (I was also a bit concerned in case what I'd written came across as rude, but I think I was ok, and it was my opinion after all!)

With the neckband, you pick up one stitch for each horizontal and 2 out of 3 stitches for each diagonal at the side of the neckband. The neckband was a sore point for me as I picked up too many stitches and had to rip the whole thing out because it stuck out from the jumper in a weird way. Totally my fault and I had to re-do. The resulting neck seemed a bit high at first but it's fine post-blocking and I like that it isn't low enough to show a t-shirt beneath.
 Close up to try and show the front shaping (with cat)

Would I knit it again? Yes, absolutely. It's a great pattern to show off a special yarn and is enjoyable to knit if you're in the mood for some straightforward knitting.

K x

p.s The title is from a comment by my Current Husband, who was likening the colour to chicken pakora...
p.p.s Sorry that you've kind of seen this before when I blogged about my skirt but I thought it deserved its own post

26 comments:

  1. Mmm chicken pakora :) I love the colour and there's nothing like a simple jumper to turn to on days when you have 'nothing' to wear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is the colour of chicken pakora! at least glasgow post-pub chicken pakora! you don't get stuff like that daaahn sarf and rarely see chicken pakora on indian restaurant menus either (disappointingly). lovely jumper - a great basic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen any type of pakora on any English Indian menu. Weird, that!! I missed it when I was in London.

      Delete
  3. 'Current husband' hehe! I love this colour too, kind of rusty bronze, judging from the top pic? Looks great with the skirt. I also love this colour with blues, another fave. Lovely make! I may have this pattern pinned- I'll go and look...I think back shaping is easy (she says, sounding like an expert ha), just symmetrically placed decreases every few rows either side of the back waist (I'm currently doing this for my Lorna Suzanne by Ellen Mason), like vertical darts. Thanks for the inspiration! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the back shaping method - it already has vertical back darts, like in the front, so I'd just need to increase the number of those then. Thanks - very simple but I'd never even thought of that!

      Delete
  4. In my experience, chicken pakora is a lot more artificially pink than your jumper, but maybe that's just in the East!!! I love this colour, it's beautiful, and the jumper looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! :-) I'd say the pakora sauce might sometimes be an odd shade of pink but our Glaswegian pakora normally orange!

      Delete
  5. That wool is such a beautiful colour! Looks fab on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This color is so pretty on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really such a pretty color! And I noticed the interesting shoulder detail right away, I like the look of that a lot. Overall lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great colour for you. And an interesting little learning topic on the neckband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely and a fabulous colour. That looks likea really versatile pattern and how nice that it goes up to 60" bust. Thanks for sharing your review. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's no wonder you were so enamoured in the colour, because it really suits you. This post couldn't be better timed for me because all I have left to do on a festive jersey (yes, late... or 12 months early I suppose!) is knit the neckband and I had *no* idea how to do it. So thank you very much! Rachel :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, so glad it's been helpful

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous jumper, we have just bought a car that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a very gorgeous colour indeed! And it suits your colouring really well. I know that feeling of wanting the other colourway, usually for e it is fabric and on account of the cutting bit, I've been known to own two lengths in different colourways Yarn is much easier to return! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colour really suits you! And it looks super cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely, well done! I have started putting short row busts darts in my knits for my sway back . It's because it's extra length causing the pooching, Not width. So extra vertical decreases won't overly solve it. I wrote more about it in my Brennan cardigan post. Bit of extra work though so if you're not into it, ignore it :) I love being a knitting nerd though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I definitely read that when you posted it because I was so impressed at your knowledge and ability to manipulate the fit of knitwear, and thought it was too complicated for me and I could live with imperfect fit! :-)

      Delete
  15. What a great jumper! I can see why you liked the colour so much, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your jumper turned out beautifully! The yarn is such a lovely color, and works wonderfully paired with your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree it's a lovely warm colour and the three quarter sleeves do add a touch of femininity. As always, in awe of your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have jumper envy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh I do like that knit and the colour too - a very apt post title! Drops yarn is fab isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, it's my favourite. I don't understand how it can be so cheap. The Lima yarn I used for this is just lovely to knit with

      Delete
  20. Sigh. I so need to learn to knit. Well, I CAN actually knit. So perhaps that should read "I so need to learn to finish a knit project" Gorgeous colour!
    Px

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say