Sunday Bits & Pieces


It seems like I have been mostly posting shop reviews recently, without sharing much about what I've been making. Each of the review posts was quite structured so it feels like ages since I have written a 'normal' post.

First off, I have been remiss in not telling you about a meet up of sewing bloggers in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago. Franca of Oranges and Apples was the mastermind behind the afternoon. We met in the Cloth Shop and then had coffee and cake at Mimi's Bakehouse. As ever, it was lovely to catch up with fellow creative blogging ladies to discuss fabric, patterns, blogging and life in general.
Hazel of Disaster in a Dress, who now works for Remnant Kings (who also own the Cloth Shop) had kindly arranged for us all to receive a goodie bag of a tote bag containing a tin full of thoughtful sewing items. Thanks Hazel and Remnant Kings! Also included was a 10% discount card, which I made use of for this ripstop nylon fabric:
It was Hello Kitty that caught my eye but all the other characters are her friends, I think. I just bought half a metre to make a zipped pouch. The lady who cut it for me told me she'd made a raincoat for her niece with it, which sounds awesome

I used the card again this week to buy this polka dot ponte roma which caught my eye in Remnant Kings Glasgow:
I'm planning to make another raglan sleeve dress, a pattern I've made before. I might use the fabric reversed on the sleeves but I'm not sure if it will look too much like the back of the fabric (as it is, obviously). You can get the fabric from Remnant Kings (here) but I also noticed it featured on the Guthrie & Ghani blog today too. There wasn't a note with the fabric content on the bolt in store but I bought it anyway though I see from the RK website that it's 98% poly which I'm a bit sad about as I always worry about poly fabrics getting a bit sweaty. My previous version of this dress is in a poly jersey which washes brilliantly (big plus) but of course isn't very breathable (a minus).
 
From left to right - Me, Helen, Franca, Nessa, Elaine, Amy & Hazel - Well done to Elaine for being organised and taking the photo!

Apart from making sewing plans, I have been crocheting up a storm. I decided that I really needed to make some new Christmas decorations this year. I had my eye on a more complicated pattern - Christmas lights, as made by Elise and seen here alongside a host of other brilliant creations. However these are beyond my skills to tackle without assistance. I found a really easy star tutorial on the Royal Sisters blog here, and whipped up 16 stars on the train journey to London:
 Pre and post blocking & all 16 stars ready to be made into a garland

The same website also has this Grandma tree pattern:
I'm going to make a few of these for a garland too. I was able to use scrap yarn for both projects which was great and the instructions are written in the perfect way for a novice but they are easy to pick up and remember when you've made a couple.

I'll remember to post some pictures of the finished garlands too plus I have some finished garments to photograph and am suffering from that seasonal curse of the blogger - trying to take photos in terrible light.

K x

15 comments:

  1. Your fabris is nice, especially the ripstop. I wish I could crochet. Your garlands will be very pretty and festive. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope they will look good - I'm very into Christmas this year!

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo you bought the fabric!! Can't wait to see the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It will be nice and easy to work with, I think. Couldn't resist buying it when I had the chance :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow so many stars! I made the trees too, I like how they turn out. Love the fabric you bought, polka dots and cartoons all the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees are such a simple and clever idea, I think I had them pinned on Pinterest ages ago so it always makes me happy when I actually use things I have pinned

      Delete
  4. I love your ornaments and the Hello Kitty. I was just reading a blog about crocheted ornaments. I'm more into sewing and knitting, but here's the guy's blog if you are interested in his snowflakes: http://accordingtomatt.blogspot.de/p/blog-page_2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. His tutorials look great ad very easy to follow for a beginner like me!

      Delete
  5. We're glad you're happy with your sewing tin and fabrics! Glad to see you're getting good use out of them! We can't wait to see your finished dress with the jersey, although it's polyester it still has a nice handle and you're right about the washing benefits! Remember and let us know when it's finished so we can share on our social media too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will let you know when I use the fabrics. I didn't take a picture of the tote bag because it's been in daily use!

      Delete
  6. What a fun meetup! The Hello Kitty fabric is especially cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun fabric and crafting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was lovely to see you recently! Your crocheting looks great!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your crochet is really cute! Thanks for the links, I think I'll make a few! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. eek I'm so copying your crochet garland idea! They look fab my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say