Finished: A Thoroughly 70s Dress

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll know that I love a pattern from the 70s or 80s. This dress is indeed made from a vintage 1970s pattern but it's a little bit special because it's made from vintage fabric too.
I bought the fabric in a charity shop back in 2011 and it's been waiting in my stash ever since. It's a polyester knit of a medium weight which is nice and drapey. I loved this 70s fabric as soon as I saw it, even though the colours are not ones I would normally wear. I'm not generally a fan of pink and purple plus I don't have any shoes that match, not even appropriate black ones. But why let that stand in the way of fabric love?

Most of the photos turned out a bit dark so I had to play about with them. Colours are closest to this image, complete with toddler's hand.

I spent ages thinking about the best type of pattern to match with this fabric, as I wanted to choose a pattern that was appropriate for the era of the fabric. A maxi skirt or dress would be nice but I don't wear that kind of style on a regular basis so it might be a waste. As it was poly, I didn't want anything too enclosed around the arms in case I felt sweaty. I really have no right to be sniffy about poly fabric though, since I so rarely iron anything it's a good choice for me.
 
(Unintentional pattern cover pose - I'm eying up a toddler approaching the tripod)

The pattern is McCall's 4061 from 1974. I don't think I've made a McCall's pattern before and sewing this one went well. It's labelled as 'Extra Carefree' and 'Extra Easy - Extra Quick' but there was nothing in the instructions which was revolutionary to me or made the process go any quicker than normal. Sounds tempting though, doesn't it? 
(Having mentioned that I don't have shoes that go with the colours in this dress, I note that none of the cover illustration ladies do either!)

I really like the neckline on this dress, with gathers beneath the neck band. It is quite high, which I've found is common on vintage patterns. I might lower it a bit next time if I remember but it's not uncomfortable.
 
Ironically, after taking a long time to decide how to use this fabric, I made this dress without a muslin, which is unusual for me. Luckily the fit worked out fine. The only changes I made were to bring the side seams in at the waist for a more fitted shape and to add back darts, also for a better fit. I could have made it even more fitted than I did but I like that there is a bit of looseness as it's really comfy to wear. I was also planning to make a belt but I like it without one.
My posterior for posterity, as Nessa would call it. Hard to see much detail due to the busy fabric though ad the print matching is a bit skewed on the upper bodice, oh well.

I finished the side seams with my overlocker, and the armholes are finished with facings which are turned and hand-stitched in place. I'm not a massive fan of facings and next time might finish with bias tape. The neck was finished with a couple of hook and eye fastenings above the zip.

Costwise, the fabric was £1.50 and the pattern was a gift, making this a super-cheap make. Could you buy a dress for £1.50 in 1974?
I'd definitely make this again as this pattern is flattering and easy to wear.

A bonus about this garment is that it fits in with, and exceeds, my Vintage Pledge to make 3 garments from vintage patterns this year - this is my fourth. I'm hoping to squeeze in one or two more by December as well. Under promise and over deliver is the mantra!

K x

32 comments:

  1. Love this on you! The print is so cool and it looks so flattering with the stripe accenting your waistline. Great dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this! You look wonderful! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! It looks perfect on you. I love the neckline. Hopefully it'll not end up being the 'sweaty' kind of poly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. And you'll just have to buy some shoes to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this dress. Everything about it is fabulous, I love a good 70's frock me, even the cost rocks. You look great in it. Besides, matching shoes are overrated. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dress is gorgeous, a perfect pattern and fabric combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS!! I'm so jealous, I totally want it. Lovely hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect fabric with this dress, you look great in this style. Bet it will be fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fabric and the dress really suits you! You look lovely. This pattern is the same age as me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, the fabric is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I really do love this! The style and fabric are that elusive combination, the perfect match. Would also look fab with cardi for colder days on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore those colours on you! It's a fabulous dress. Epic win!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! I love the whole thing! The fabric is awesome and the pattern you chose is perfect, and it totally suits you. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous! Love the colours and design of the fabric and the shape of the dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love your dress! It's perfect in every way :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. WINNER!!! This dress is the best. I LOVE how you placed the pattern, with the tan daisies on the waist like that. It is exquisite. EXQUISITE. Oh my goodness, I want to write a poem, a song, in its honour. You have achieved the thing we all aim for - the perfect marriage of fabric, pattern and wearer. Well done that woman!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's really lovely - that shape suits you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally awesome. I love these 70s styles on you - this is so chic and I'm sure it's practical, too. And I bet it looks good with your yellow clogs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks lovely! Jealous of the cheap fabric find!

    http://whydidimakethat.blogspot.co.uk/

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WhyDidIMakeThat

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is awesome! perfect pairing of pattern and fabric, and perfect pairing of dress and girl, as this is stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's a real beauty and you look fabulous in it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is lovely! Perfect match of pattern, fabric & you - delightful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments! I'm glad I waiting 3 years before using the fabric now, so I found just the right pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super great look. It really suits you! Fabulous fabric too, you'd never find anything quite that special these days, good find!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic dress! Love love love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is wonderful! What a perfect fabric find for that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  27. £150 and a gifted pattern. High five young lady. This looks ace

    ReplyDelete
  28. This dress is so perfect on you! I really admire your ability to match a fabric and dress pattern in your mind, I don't think I would have given that pattern a second look :\

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say