Shop Review: Remnant Kings (Argyle Street)

 
(Those guys are carrying a lot of fabric on their shoulders!)

Shop Name: Remnant Kings

Address: 146 Argyle Street, 1st Floor (above House of Fraser), Glasgow. G2 8BL (on Google maps here)


Website: http://www.remnantkings.co.uk/


Do they sell online? Yes some lines are available  
Easy to get to?  
Very central, it's on the first floor above Frasers department store, accessible from entrances on Argyle Street and Buchanan Street. There is a lift at the Argyle Street entrance but there are a couple of steps up from the street. It's a few minutes walk from Central Station and St Enoch underground station.

What's the Shop like? 
The location of the shop has always been attractive. Located in the middle of a shopping area it is perfectly placed for you to pop in for a few bits and pieces when in town. The quality of the stock has improved vastly in recent years. It went through a lull a couple of years ago, when it was full of uninspiring fabric and sold a lot of gift items and knick knacks. Now, it has really raised its game and sells an interesting range of fabrics plus items for other related crafts. They sell some fancy dress items, with the range increasing around Hallowe'en, understandable as it's their busiest time of year.
 
Quilting fabrics

Upholstery and curtain fabrics are sold at their nearby Fabric Superstore venue at the river in Tradeston so there is more room for fabrics in this store. The Fabric Superstore also carries a range of dressmaking fabrics and haberdashery items - it is a reduced selection compared to the Argyle Street store but it handy to know about in case you don't want to go into town as you can park outside the Fabric Superstore.
 Maleficient Costume

The shop looks attractive with several mannequin displays. I visited in the period running up to Hallowe'en when they had a few costumes on display which were very impressive. Although it is pretty full of stock, the shop still feels bright and airy.

Wool and patterns section  

What can I buy there?
Dressmaking and craft fabric, a large range of Hemline brand haberdashery, a good range of buttons and ribbon and all the big name paper patterns. They have a good selection of fabric and accessories for quilters and people who make bags and hats - I think all fabric crafts are covered and they are a great go-to place for the basics. I can't comment in any detail on their quilting range as this isn't my area of knowledge, only to say that they seem to be carrying an increased range of lines.
 Buttons 

They sell wool and knitting needles and accessories (Pony brand) but these are predominantly aimed at the baby knitting market plus some novelty yarns. They have some wool blend yarns but nothing for the yarn purists out there who demand natural fibres.
Zzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppps
What's the best thing to buy there?  
Their zips are among the cheapest you'll find and they have a strong fabric range from £2.99/m polycottons to £35/m Barbour waxed cotton. The blue/green section below included linen, devore, cottons, polycottons, velvet and jersey.
 
Wools for Winter

Despite the name, remnants don't form a big part of the business. They have two smallish remnant bins and they don't tend to have much in the way of special deals and although their stock is good it is fairly standard. Many of the fabrics appear to be regular lines but I have seen some different fabrics appearing on recent visits. Their sales do have decent reductions, again I think this is because they have more one-off/fashion fabrics than they used to.
Please Sir, can I have some more remnants?
Sum it up
It's a handy location, they have a good selection of stock nicely displayed and it's well worth a visit if you haven't been for a while. They have a bit of everything and cater for a range of markets from the fancy dress buyer to quilter to dressmaker, with a tempting fabric selection for dressmakers. Price wise, it's decent and they do carry some higher end fabrics if that's your bag.
This is one of a series of reviews of fabric and wool shops in Glasgow. See more here. All posts are independent and represent my own opinions.

14 comments:

  1. I haven't been here for about a year but it definitely seemed to carry a better range than before, although so much quilting stuff! I'm with you on the wool, I never seem to find what I like in the 'combo' shops, my favourite one is out at the Barrowlands. The displays here look cool tho, I'll need to give it another visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely picked up its game, even within the last year, not for wool but fabrics definitely.

      Delete
  2. It has changed a lot since I was last in. They had all the Home Dec fabrics there then. Quilting is more popular now though. Not the biggest selection of fabrics but they are usually a decent price and always handy for threads and notions on the way home. Thanks for the review. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the review, I'd be interested to see what you think on a revisit!

      Delete
  3. You've had a busy weekend! Thanks for the review. I haven't been thre in years and years, so useful to know it's worth a visit. And thanks again for organising yesterday. It was great to catch up again! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, was lovely to see you too :-)

      Delete
  4. Remember that many quilting cottons are fantastic for shirt dresses, tops etc. The quality of the cotton in the major lines is impressive. Michael Miller, P and J Textiles, Rowan, Moda, Kaufmann, and Hoffman etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello MrsC, yes that's very true, I have used quilting cotton to make a dress and it was great to work with.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I envy you these shops. Particularly for the range of habby. I live in the sticks and to be blunt even our nearest 'city' is useless. I would love to have such a varied selection of zip colours, for example. I usually end up ordering on the Internet but this has had some unexpected results as you can't always be sure of the colour or quality of an item. Shop jealousy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have easy access to shops like this, it would be a pain to have to buy bits and pieces online and would certainly require a lot more planning

      Delete
  6. Glad to see this series. Might be an idea to include what the service is like? Must admit I haven't been in for a while but I didn't really love their service in the times I've been in. I kind of felt like I was bothering them. Not much in the way of chat, smiles or warmth. If their range of fabric has improved, I'll go back - but maybe in a month or so after Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I did consider mentioning staff but as I visit many of the shops frequently I didn't want to risk evil looks from anyone :-) With smaller shops the service is usually a larger part of the experience so 'm sure it will be mentioned in future reviews. Thanks for your comment

      Delete
  7. I have to say as a quilter I wouldn't go there for their quilting fabrics, although I did recently fall with glee on a sale bolt of fabric that's 3 years old now, which I used to line a swap bag (quilting cotton lines are printed only once, so once it's gone, it's gone!) I didn't feel they were as halloweeny as in the past either (I was looking for some things for a friend), but maybe I was a week early?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine there's nowhere near enough choice for a decicated quilter looking for the latest lines, but I think what they are doing well is providing a good choice for lots of crafts. That's great you found something in the sale section too.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say