Finished: French Farce Top

I had a strong vision for what this fabric was to become when I bought it at Christmas. It was telling me that it wanted to be a Breton top, and I think that's pretty much what I've got, after some trouble along the way.

I bought the fabric in the John Lewis sale - the sales are the only time it's worth shopping there, as I find the fabric to be pretty pricey. This was half price at £7 per metre and I was able to get this top out of one metre with just a little to spare. The pattern I used was from Sew U Home Stretch, a book I'd used sucessfully before to make the Babydoll dress (twice) so I felt pretty confident with this project.

The first issue was that this jersey, although good quality, was really a bit thin to make a top of this style. When I first sewed the back and front together, the front neckline sagged horribly which may have been a combination of too light fabric and also a narrow upper chest as I've had a similar issue with a shop-bought top. Also the neckline was way too wide and revealed my bra straps, so I had to do some fudging (a lot), and pull the front piece up a bit so that the shoulder seam became wider. The knock-on effect was that the armhole was now too small for the arms seam. This was my fix:

A rather crude looking foldy-thing. I can pretend it's a feature and live with it.

When it came to sewing the arm seams, I realised that the arm pieces were huuuuuuge. I first sewed them as-is, but ended up taking off a massive 2 1/4" at the seam tapering up to the armpit. No idea why the sleeves were so wide but luckily it was an easy fix.

I did TRY to match the side seams and got on OK:
I forgot to do the side slits, but again I'm not too bothered by that. The resulting top has a nice casual, loose fit and I think is perfectly wearable.

And the verdict of my Current Husband: "That's nice, very Where's Wally".....Cheers....

Maybe not the Breton chic I was aiming for, but close enough.

K x

p.s Thanks for all your #springsewingswap sign ups, I'm working on partnering up right now!

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like the kind of comment my husband would make. I also have the same 'design feature' shoulders in a dress I drafted for my daughter. We must be sewing twins :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, and he really was being nice too! :) The shoulder thing is definitely a helpful and easy fix

      Delete
  2. Your top looks great, I had the same issues with the same pattern ages ago, it was my first stretch project and I didn't have the skills to save it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison, I was surprised to have those issues as the Babydoll dress pattern was great to put together. Hope you weren't too put off stretch fabrics after that

      Delete
  3. I like the top. I have that book, but I have never sewn anything but a t-shirt from it. You have inspired me to give the other patterns a try. Good save on the sleeves. I like the way they look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I think there are some great patterns in that book and well worth trying out. Don't get the sleeve weirdery though!

      Delete
  4. Great top! I have that book too, but haven't sewn from it - I will now. I do agree about John Lewis's prices. Though have you signed up for the loyalty card? Free coffee and cake voucher every month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm all over the coffee and cake deal too! :) So handy since I go there frequently, though the coffee shop is dangerously located through the haberdashery :)

      Delete
  5. This looks great. I really like it and the sleeve detail looks like a design decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Helen, yes I'm calling it a 'design decision', sounds much better than mistake!

      Delete
  6. Very nice, I keep meaning to use that book. I'm with you, I shop JL sales and remnant bin - have got some good deals that way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacq! I've got another JL sale bargain that I'm planning to turn into a Belcarra blouse, if only I can nail the fit

      Delete
  7. I think it worked out well. The sleeve pleats are cute, it makes it a bit different, but not crazypants. I just bought three pieces of striped knit fabric so I'm getting inspired by your Where's Waldo top (not that I think it's at all WW).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can get away with the sleeve pleats ok, just about. I do love a striped top though and glad to hear you've got some inspiration for your stripes too :)

      Delete
  8. I like your sleeve pleats - great save! I had issues with the neckline too & am thinking it needs to be stabilized since my knit feels pretty medium thick but still wants to flip out. Same with the massively wide sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a metre of similar fabric in the John Lewis sale - mine was navy and I also made a Breton top. What fabulous taste! My neckline came out too wide but I have just left it as is as any alterations I have made in the past have been disastrous and definitely couldn't pass as deliberate. Your sleeve pleats look absolutely fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it too! I'm still scared of knit fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is quite nice and Breton enough for me! I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to sew the slits in a garment, ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say