Finished: Denim Crescent Skirt

Worn with a favourite top from Zara (about 5 years old)

The first item from my capsule wardrobe plan has been ticked off! I actually finished this skirt a couple of weeks ago, and have worn it loads since finishing it, including at last weekend's Crafters' Ceilidh. It's the second Crescent skirt I have made - the first was a longer-length bright floral version. I had high hopes for this version, knowing how much I loved my Summer version, but was a little wary as I quite often find that when re-making a pattern, I don't love my second version quite so much. Happily, that's not the case here. Here's my review...

Pattern Used
Sewaholic's Crescent Skirt - View A, which is of a shorter length and with less gathering.

Does it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? 
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? 
Yes - last time I followed the sewalong and didn't refer to the pattern instructions but this time I used the instructions, and they were great.
 
From the inside - french seamed pocket bags, flat felled side seams and bias tape to make a neat hem finish

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I love the pockets and the fit of the skirt is great. I think the shape is quite universally flattering too.
 
Fabric & Notions 
I used a dark denim which has a teeny bit of stretch in it. This worked very well for view A, as I think the stiffness of the denim would not be so good with the other views which have more gathers. I used a red zip as this was what I had in my stash, and I like the look of the contrast too. I used a red bias tape to finish the hem too, which looks nice and neat and matches the zip.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
No changes made - why mess with perfection?
 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?   
I would sew it again and can totally recommend it.
Did you use any new skills? 
Yes! Flat felled seams. I <3 these big time.

 


What wardrobe gap does this fill?  
A practical, casual skirt.

Cost   

I already had the pattern and I used fabric etc from my stash, so you could say it was technically free but if you're being picky, I paid:
Denim       4.99   (about 1 metre, leftover from my Saturday Afternoon Skirt)
Thread      0.00   Black - I already had loads
Zip            0.25   Charity shop
Bias Tape  1.50
Pattern       6.50 Approx - 2nd time of use

Total        £13.24
Conclusion
A great, useful wardrobe addition.
How I wore it - with snow boots!

23 comments:

  1. This skirt suits you so well.. I love the contrast zipper xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely make! What a great weekend skirt, and it really suits you too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love this skirt and I think you are right, that waistband would flater any figure. Great teamed with the snow boots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it with the red socks and snow boots! Too bad we don't have enough snow for proper tromping around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking, wearable and fun. I really like the red touches.
    I made a denim pencil skirt and used red grosgrain inside the waist, next time I'm going to trim under the hem too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic, Kerry! What a great skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never have thought of making the Crescent Skirt in denim but you've totally proved it's a winner. I think choosing the version with fewer gathers is what makes it work so well. The fit is great too, hhhmm, quite tempted now! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wore this last weekend didn't you? I'd noticed it as a "crescent" but hadn't realised it was new. It looks fab - a really stylish denim skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its lovely - well done. I think I'm going to have to take some dressmaking classes - would love to be able to make my own clothes.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute indeed, Kerry - I love the touch of the red zip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute! Looks great on you and the inside looks so clean and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the red zip on this it's a nice touch. I like this alot in denim it's a definate winner. I bought this pattern last year but I didn't get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I've seen the lo-gather version before - really cute! I didn't notice you wearing this last week - I was too distracted by your capelet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh love this! How cool! It's great to see that view of the skirt made up so well, I think I want one now ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic, I love it! The red zip is so much fun. As are the red socks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh love this. The red zip is inspired. Like the snow boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute! Denim is such a great skirt fabric, and it's so easy to wash.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! And I love the red zipper. This is super flattering, and way to stay on track for your mini-wardrobe.

    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great! Is denim tricky to sew with? I'm always tempted but have resisted so far...

    Makes me want to make another Crescent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a medium weight denim so it wasn't quite as heavy as jeans denim. You can also use flat felled seams on denim, which are really easy and look so neat - love them!

      Delete
  20. Ahh, yes. I see that RED peeking over the tops of your boots.

    Not certain I could pull off the front yoke, BUT TOTALLY LOVE THIS SKIRT ! !

    ReplyDelete
  21. No wonder you love it - that yoke and the gathers create a very nice shape, and your finish - oh, I wish! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say