Hooray - Crescent skirt Finished!


I'm delighted. After messing up the sizing of my skirt and ending up with a skirt that was too big, I've fixed the waistband and ta dah!



I wasn't sure how easy the skirt would be to take in, and how much I would have to take it apart. I emailed Tasia at Sewaholic, and she very kindly gave me some advice on what to do, and it really was very straightforward. It was only the side seams of the waistband that needed to be taken apart and it took me less than an hour to do. I am so happy that it was easy to fix, that I am able to wear my skirt during Me Made June, and also that it is now a wearable item, rather than languishing, unfinished, in my cupboard.  It's a win all round.

Here's my summary of the project:


Pattern Used
Sewaholic's Crescent Skirt - I made View C, which is fully gathered and knee length
 
Does it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? 

Yep, I think so!


Were the instructions easy to follow? 
I didn't refer to the instructions much, as I followed the sewalong, which covered everything in great detail - it was fantastic. I did have a look when it came to sewing together the waistband pieces and have to admit that I was a bit confused by the diagram and sewed some pieces together wrongly, initially.
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I love the pockets and think the skirt shape is universally flattering. 

  


Fabric & Notions
Acid rose print cotton (from Mandors) and zip. 



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

None, I followed the rules!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
Yes I would sew it again. I love the skirt and its shape and am so delighted with it. The experience of following the sewalong was really fun, and it made me try things I hadn't done before like French Seams (Love!) and seam binding. As a result, my skirt is also the most neat and pretty inside that I have ever achieved. (I know that sentence is a grammatical mess, but I couldn't think how else to say it...).
 Look! French seams and bias bound hem

Cost
£20-£25 ish in total, I think.
 
Conclusion
I love it, I'm delighted - probably even more so after I thought all was lost and then fixed the waistband.

Thanks for your help Tasia!

K x

 
Looking casual, but desperate to be photographed

13 comments:

  1. That skirt is incredible, such a brilliant fit and a gorgeous choice of fabric. You did a great job. xxx
    PS Have to laugh at your kitties getting in on the action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skirt is Fabulous! I love it soooooo much! I can't wait to make mine up! You know, I visited Mandors for the first time last week....swoon! Love that store! Next time I'm up in Glasgow--I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up for coffee AND Mandors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo, bet you're glad you forced yourself to alter it aren't you? It looks absolutely brilliant, love the fabric, fit and finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! This is fab, love how the cats always get involved too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, lovely!! I'm so glad that it was an easy alteration and that you can wear it. It looks marvellous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your lovely comments! I'm sure I'll get a lot more wear out of this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So summery! And I am so glad you managed to make it fit after all your work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one FABULOUS skirt. I love the fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did the same thing on my Crescent, I must admit I thought because of the way the waistband was constructed there was now way I'd be able to take the seam in but maybe I'll give it a go now I know you've done it. Was it straightforward to change? What advice did Tasia give you? Jumped over to your blog from Karen (Did You Make That?)

    http://hereswhatididtoday.blogspot.com/2011/05/crescent-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Louise, yes it was quite straightforward to fix. Essentially it involved ripping out just the side seams of outside and inside waistband facings plus a couple of inches either side along the top of the skirt. I've sent you an email with more details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi - I've just found your blog through a link from Karen's blog (Did you make that). I love finding new UK sewing blogs - I never realised what a big community there is! Your crescent skirt is really gorgeous, I love the fabric. I have the pattern and I'm dying to make it up, but I just haven't got my hands on the right fabric yet! Right...off to nosey around the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO lovely! glad you got the issue sorted! Tasia is so kind, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just seen your blog as I'm making this skirt at the moment. I adore your fabric choice! It's so pretty x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say