Finished! - Striped Socks

 

I was delighted to finish these socks - the first pair I've ever made. I actually started them nearly a year ago (April 16th 2010 - Thanks Ravelry!) but abandoned them before I'd even reached the heel on the first one. I was inspired to pick them up again when we did socks in my knitting class.

I originally used Alison Sarnoff's Super Simple Sock Pattern, available for free on Ravelry. However when I started them again, I used a 'sock equation' which our teacher gave us. This is designed to lend itself to variation, such as adding a lace panel or making them a different length in the leg. I was going to include the equation in this post, but had second thoughts when I realised that it might be nice to include some photos of the different stages. If anyone is interested in learning about this magical equation do let me know and I will post about it!

If you've never knitted a sock before but are a reasonably competent knitter who can knit in the round, you should give it a go. Socks seem to be a favourite project of many knitters, who make sock knitting into an art form of its own. I like the portability of sock knitting, and the fact that self striping yarns can look so effective. I used Kaffe Fassett Design Line by Regia.



The disciplined seamstresses who commented on a previous post that they use only one spool so they can't make multiple projects, would be very proud of my restraint with my knitting projects. I made sure the socks were finished before casting on a gauge swatch of my next knitting, which is....





+


The wool is a raspberry red, and a mix of wool, alpaca and silk and the pattern is from a Wendy book of Vintage Knits I posted about here.

Aside from knitting, I have been working on the finished touches for the Beignet. I had forgotten how many fiddly and time consuming bits were at the end - hand hemming, sewing on buttons, making buttonholes and making the belt loops. It will be finished this week though, at long last.

Hope you've had a productive weekend too!

K x


 "Why are you trying to photograph your feet, when you should be giving ME attention?"

5 comments:

  1. Love the socks. Did you have to change the yarn every time you wanted a different color ( do I sound stupid? lol). You inspired me to consider knitting again. Only this time I figured crocheting would be easier. I am presently on youtube, trying to learn how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dibs, the yarn is multi coloured so the colour changes as you knit. It's a brilliant invention that makes your knitting look more complicated than it is. Good luck with the crochet, I've never quite cracked that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweater will be adorable! You're making me wish I could knit proficiently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah they're brilliant, well done! Love that raspberry wool too, and of course the kitty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wonderful weblog structure! How long have you been
    running a blog for? you make blogging glance easy.
    The entire look of your website is magnificent, as smartly as the content material!
    My page :: free iphone

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say