Could I make this dress?


Despite many months of looking at Topshop in disdain at all the horrible 1980s-influenced fashion (boke), I have seen something I actually like. I saw the above dress in the window and was immediately drawn inside to look at it. However not only is it £60, it is polyester and not even lined. Is it just me, or is that a bit shoddy? But it is oh so pretty. Unsurprisingly, it is very 1950s-esque, looks vintage, and fits more or less exactly the idea of the type of dress I like.

I don't have £60 to spend on a dress that I have no need for (no weddings coming up...damn) and which I don't think is particularly well made. However, I would allow myself to make a similar dress if I found the right pattern. Therefore I am commencing the search for the pattern to use for my next sewing project - the 1950s dress of my dreams. Though I will have to wait for payday to buy anything. No matter!

K x

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kestrel, just stumbled upon your blog today and have spent a quiet afternoon at work perusing. Love everything - love your charity shop finds, your ceramic obsession, your fabrics, wool, knitting, seamstressing and cats! Yay!

    Am I reading right that you make a mock-up of every garment before you cut the fabric? You're more patient than me, but then I'd probably have more better-fitting garments if I did that!

    I agree Topshop pricing has gone ridiculous in the last few years, I wasn't even surprised that that dress was £60 and I should have been. I made a dress similar to that one from the front, but it doesn't have the V at the back or the tie but it's a similar shape - it's Butterick B4443 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy! Thanks for your lovely comment. I do try and make a mock up in cheap fabric before diving in with my proper fabric. I need to learn a bit more about fit to make the most of it, but it's good to help point out any glaring size issues.

    I had a look at the the B4443 you recommended - it does look like a really nice pattern with a good few variations you can make. I need to do a bit more research into patterns but it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just know you're gonna make that dress 100 times better then Topshop, can't wait to see it when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw Thank you! It might be a bit of a mission to find the right pattern, but I'm keen not to be tempted back to the high street if I can possibly avoid it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say