Handmade Baby Gifts

It's always fun to sew for babies. I recently made a couple of gifts for friends who have just had a baby boy.

These shoes were made using a kit with pre-cut pieces, and I was attracted by the fact the outer is made from genuine Harris Tweed - you even get a label to sew on the back. The baby's dad is a big fan of Harris Tweed, so I really made them for his benefit, since baby shoes are often more hassle than they are worth as they keep falling off.
I also sewed the front bit differently from the instructions - they are supposed to look like moccasins but mine look like small old man's slippers. Still, cute though!

The second gift is a baby blanket, made using a cute Scandi-style apple print cotton and backed with white flannel. The white ribbon binding was bought way back in 2012 when I was in New York, with the intention of it being used for baby blankets. Not sure why it's taken quite so long to get made into one!

K x

7 comments:

  1. What lovely gifts. The little shoes are the sort of special things parents keep forever K xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely thoughtful gifts. I love the Harris Tweed. That is so unusual for babies and a totally brilliant idea. Lovely blanket too. They are just so handy. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw such pretty gifts! I love the idea of a wee shoe making kit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wee little shoes are DARLING! I'd love a pair myself! I should sew baby gifts. I imagine it would be a lot faster than knitting them, and they'd probably get more use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those booties.they are gorgeous. Love the blanket too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are adorable. It's so nice to receive a gift that was handmade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous gifts!! We got given a little pair of booties like that for Harris, made with Harris tweed. Your blanket looks really good too, your binding looks very neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say