Out with the Singer, in with the Janome

I didn't realise I was so attached to my sewing machine until we fell out. I hadn't given it a name or anything, like some people do, although it had served me well from my beginner's steps in sewing three and a half years ago. It was a basic machine, picked up for £80 before I had even started sewing, but thought I might like to try.

Singer Inspiration 4205

Then it stop co-operating with me. I finally cracked the magic stitch length and width combination to allow me to sew jersey. I was overjoyed! I made a Renfrew! All was good. Until, that it is, I tried my next jersey sewing project and it just would.not.sew.the.jersey. Try as I might, it wouldn't cooperate with me. And then I knew we were through.

I was so disappointed and felt let down - much like when someone you know says or does something that makes you see them in a different light, and not a good one. After my loyal support of my machine, championing of basic sewing machines and getting it fixed at a cost of £50 instead of just buying a new one, it had really let me down. Is that silly? I certainly didn't expect to feel so strongly about it.

Although I debated getting an overlocker to help with jersey and continuing to use my machine for everything else, I realised that I didn't want to sew with my machine any more and that it was time to move on to a better machine. Not necessarily anything super-fancy but just something that was of better quality with more options.

I settled on this:
 
The Janome 525S. I was able to try it out at a sewing machine shop in Stirling (Pemberton's) but had pretty much decided that it was the one I wanted - a good brand (not that Singer isn't), range of options for stitches and other adjustments (adjustable presser foot etc) but not computerised.

So how's it been? I love it. It's a joy to sew with - easy to use and not too loud. Even elements like the bobbin cover and bobbin winder click into place satisfying and properly, whereas they were always a bit loose on my old machine. It has an automatic needle threader! This was a concept I found baffling until I tried it and it's really quite smart.

 Dot enjoying the sewing machine box

Anything I don't like about it? Sometimes the accessories drawer is a bit sticky to get in and out, and I had assumed the hard cover would click into place over the machine instead of just sitting over it, but maybe that's just how hard covers work.

I'm very happy I decided to go for a new machine and there is plenty of life in the old Singer yet, so I'm hoping to sell it on to someone. And the overlocker? I'd still like to get one, so if you're reading Overlocker Fairy, I'll have a Brother 1043D. Cheers.

K x

p.s I have actually been using it to make stuff, but not posted about it yet! Watch this space....

32 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how wonderful a new machine is? I've had mine for a year now and I still marvel at how easily it just does stuff! Looking forward to seeing a proliferation if jersey projects now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay, your new machine sounds awesome! Wishing you many years of happy sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great that you are happy! sometimes i also think about changing and upgrading my machine, but i'm attatched to it in a quite silly way, so i totally understand you! mine is a elna from 1974, and i like to believe that it's just that much better because it's old and in metal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that's a great machine, and it'll serve you well for many years.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I'm still using a basic Singer that I bought refurbished about 10 years ago when I first wanted to sew again (only did it briefly, then again 2 1/2 years ago). I sometimes wonder if a slightly nicer machine would be better, but having recently purchased said same overlock machine, it'll be awhile before I contemplate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh fun! I hope you continue to enjoy your new machine. My husband bought me a super fancy one a few years ago and there are still days when I miss thread it as I used a basic machine for so long! But that might just be my brain fog ;) and I really hope you do get an overlocker. You'll never look back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new Janome! That is such exciting news and all jerseys will down before your combined might!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you do get an overlocker, I have the brother and we're becoming fast friends. Have fun with your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a complete sewing machine noob most of the techy talk has gone way over my head, but purely from a simple-minded view (yup, me!) I love the pic of Dot enjoying the box. That alone was surely worth the buy?!

    www.mancunianvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, both of the cats have been having a great time sitting on the box, though they'd love it if I cleared it out since like most cats, they love sitting in boxes too!

      Delete
  9. Very nice! I upgraded to a Janome last year, and I'm so happy I did. And I felt the same about the accessory drawer and the needle threader, although I got a different model (mine is computerized).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh interesting, maybe that's just how those drawers work (ie not very well!).

      Delete
  10. Yay! I can't wait to see what you and the Janome get up to together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay - glad you found yourself a lovely new machine. My accessories drawer clicks into place, but my machine is 15 years old now, perhaps they have changed their design? Still, I am sure you will love the Janome. Good luck with the Overlocker Fairy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, hoping the fairy is listening, somewhere :)

      Delete
  12. May you have many happy years together! I keep toying with the idea of an overlocker for jersey - I would wear more jersey makes than cotton ones I'm sure... just don't have the space :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh goodie. I really like that machine, and I love that its throat is so much bigger too. You could get into quilting now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, now, I AM actually thinking of some quilting - very basic, to use up scraps.

      Delete
  14. Glad you found a new machine. I'm sure you'll have many great years together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to more of your sewing endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a Janome, it's a great little basic machine, but I know it's not going to last me forever. It's been battered in the last tow year and hardly ever been put away. I'm now on the lookout for a Bernina at the right price, but i'll defo still use the Janome as a lightweight machine that does a great one step buttonhole!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo! Your new machine looks great! I got my new Elna a year ago, and honestly, it's one of the greatest things I own! I had been using a 70s machine that was my Granny's, but it wasn't until I got my new machine that I realised how great modern machines are! I hope you love yours just as much, and have many happy sewing years with it. I shall enjoy seeing what you make with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That happened to me and my old machine as well! It was a Brother and it worked great for a bit, then worked great every so often, then I had the most impossible time with jersey. It took me 3 days to get the settings just right! Then it never worked again. So I bought a Singer and I'm so in love with it. Your machine looks so great - glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds familiar! My Janome sewed jersey without any difficulty, without even needing a stretch/ballpoint needle (when I tried it in store). What a difference.

      Delete
  19. Love your new machine Kerry! It looks great! And how awesome is Pembertons?!

    Recently, I was awarded the Liebster Blog Award. As part of the award, I get to choose 11 bloggers to pass the award on to. I have chosen you as one of the recipients because I love your blog, and I think you deserve some recognition for all the hard work you do! I would love it if you were able to accept the award and pass it on! There are more details about the award on my blog, as well as an "award" button that you can copy for your blog if you would like to.

    Thanks for creating such a great blog and inspiring me as a part of the online sewing community!

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, Pembertons is great, wish they had a shop like it closer to Glasgow!

      Delete
  20. Yay! I'm glad you love it! I think when I get a new machine it might have to be this one too. I trust your decisions... and it makes it easier for me if I don't have to think too hard, lol! I have heard Janome is a very good brand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular machine was recommended to me as being reliable and good quality by my sewing machine repairman, and he sees a lot of machines! It's been a joy to use, no wrestling with stitch settings, it just sews easily, it sewed jersey like a dream without even the right type of needle. I have never used a fancier/more expensive machine than this so I can't compare it to a truly top of the range model, but I am delighted with my choice.

      Delete
  21. Yay! Welcome awesome sewing machine! WHAT MAGIC WILL HAPPEN? xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Snap, I have the exact same machine! I love mine too (my first proper machine ever). Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say