FO: Autumn Leaves Top

 

It feels like ages since I shared a finished sewn object here. As usual, I have been more drawn to knitting (and now crochet!) in keeping with the more wintry weather.

This is the second top I've made using Grainline's Scout Woven Tee. You can read my full review of the last one here. The last one was a little looser than my normal style but as it turned out, I've worn it quite a few times with jeans at the weekend and really liked how comfy it is. It's great for layering up under cardigans and jumpers too.

For this one I used viscose from Mandors in a lovely leaf-style print. I did cut a smaller size than the measurements suggested I would need (as before) and this time I added 3 inches to the length. I also made a broad upper back adjustment to the back piece and back of the sleeves (see here for details). Although this adjustment wasn't enough on a fitted blouse like the Sewaholic Alma, it was great for this looser style.

While the drape-y viscose is great for the style, the one drawback is that the neckline now doesn't sit properly when left to its own devices and looks loose, as below:


I presume that this must be to do with a more drape-y fabric as I didn't make any changes to this area from my previous version. The neckline is finished with bias tape so I suppose the weight of this is maybe pulling the neckline down?  If anyone has any suggestions for how to combat this I'd love to know as I'm planning another version in a similarly light fabric.

Side view - also you can see how well the back of my new haircut sits. Very pleased with this!

The top is fairly neat inside - I used French seams at the side and shoulders and bound the armholes with rayon seam binding. To be honest, I made a pretty heinous job of this. I find seam binding so tricky but I wasn't bothered enough to re do it.

You can also see the leaf print well here too

The verdict? Overall I'm happy with this top and it's becoming a wardrobe staple for weekend and casual wear. I'm already planning another one.

K x

18 comments:

  1. It's such a sweet top and the fabric is brilliant . I guess you could make a small plea and make the neck smaller...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I need to try this pattern. Also, I'm with you on the seam binding. I can never seem to make it look very nice. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya, it is very pretty! For that neckline, the bias probably stretched it a little as well. How about taking the bias off, stay stitch the cut neckline and draw it in just a little for stability, not enough to create gathers. Try it on so you know you have it right. Now rebind it, making the bias a teeny bit firmer in its fit, and baste it both for attaching and then for stitching down. Oh yes, and use a steam iron to put some curve into the bias first so that it really sits flat when sewn in. All of this will help make it sit nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MrsC! Will do as you suggest to try and stabilise neckline before attaching the bias. I steamed the hell out of the bias when attaching and matched it with the neckline curve. This worked fine the first time too but obviously isn't enough with this type of fabric.

      Delete
    2. Aha. Good move, usually! You can do the steam and shape thing to the bias before attaching it to the neck, which means that it won't stretch the neckline when you're doing it. Bias is so cool, but it comes with its own problems eh :)

      Delete
  4. Really pretty! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Let us know if you end up fixing the neckline! Mrs C seemed to have some good tips!
    It's a cute top on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a lovely wardrobe staple and one can never have too many of those! I agree with MrsC - that should fix up the next one although on the side shot the neckline seems to be sitting ok. Loving the hair btw, very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute and it looks rather snazzy with your new haircut! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is lovely! With the neckline, did you stay stitch it? I noticed a similar problem with one of mine, because I didn't stay stitch (I don't think the pattern prompts you to do this, and it's the sort of thing I always forget). Otherwise the colour and fit look great on you, and I love your new haircut - so chic! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like an excellent staple that you'll get heaps of use out of. Love the print. And the new bob too! Glad to hear you're cracking on with the crochet! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will get so much wear out of this - fab! And I love your new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh pretty fabric! I'm going to Mandors tomorrow, hoping they have some good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a lovely top my dear :) I hear you on the knitting. I just want to curl up on the sofa with wool and wine instead of setting up the machine but I figure as long as I'm making I'm using the time wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!
    I hope that you don't mind, I've nominated you for a The One Lovely Blog Award / The Very Inspiring Blogger Award.
    I can't find out where the idea originated but it seems a lovely way of thanking the creators of the blogs that I find the most enjoyable and inspiring.
    Thanks! My post about the award(s) is here

    http://pennylibrarian.wordpress.com/2012/12/14/a-noise-that-only-bats-and-dogs-can-hear/
    Pennyx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say