Bits for Knitters


Yesterday I picked up a couple of useful knitting-related things:

1. A lint remover for shaving the bobbles off my knitwear. These are currently selling in Lidl for £2.99 which I thought was a pretty good deal? I don't know, I have never looked into buying one before but I think it will be useful. I only went in to Lidl to buy some butter but that's often the way with their weird and wonderful selection.

2. Some 'Soak', a no rinse detergent for wool. I wanted this for blocking my Manu cardigan, which I finished knitting during the week. I initially wanted to get Eucalan, another no-rinse wool detergent but my local wool shop only had Soak.  I thought it would be nice to support my local shop rather than buying something online, plus in the end it would take a few days to be delivered in any case.

When I paid for it in the shop I was more than a little surprised that it cost £17.50 (for just under 500ml). Luckily I managed to refrain from making a strangled noise or allowing my eyebrows to hit the ceiling. I'm sure it works out favourably at cost per use as you only need a teaspoon each time. Still, I am expecting to be using the bottle for the rest of my life and possibly passing it on in my will.

Once blocking is completed I just have to sew on the buttons and then my Manu will finally be ready to wear. Hooray!

K x

11 comments:

  1. Soak isn't cheap but it does last forever (my last bottle lasted almost two years, and I do wash knitwear a lot). Even so, I try to wash more than one garment while the sink is full of bubbles, to get the most out of that teaspoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good plan, I could do with washing a few other things too, my only issue is finding space to dry everything flat.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your cardigan! I can't believe how expensive those special, no-rinse detergents are either. I bought a travel-size bottle of Eucalan because I couldn't stomach the cost of a full-size. Fortunately it's lasted me quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, feels like I've been knitting it forever :-)

      Delete
  3. I am glad that you shared this. I am almost done with my first ever knitted by me cardigan, and I'll be ready to block sometime this coming week. :D m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your first cardigan! Hope blocking goes well.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like me - I don't mind the washing it's drying the buggers afterwards :P Good for you supporting your local shop - here's hoping it lasts a long time!

    PS bobble remover thing looks a pretty good buy *looks for nearest Lidl*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so excited to see your Manu! It's such a gorgeous pattern! I've never tried Soak-- what did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried any other no-rinse wool washes so I don't have anything to compare it too, but I loved the no-rinse aspect as I never really know how much to wring things out and rinse them, and never think I'm being as gentle as I am supposed to be. I do think it made the wool feel softer too.

      Delete
  6. Your reference to the 'weird and wonderful' selection at Lidl reminds of the time I saw a woman struggling down our road with a large box containing a printer. She had bought it at Netto, and told me: 'I only went for a tub of cottage cheese'!
    BN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - you have to go into those type of shops with an open mind!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say