Knitted & Sewn Baby Gifts


Just a short post to share some gifts I made for my friend's baby boy. First of all, the adorable Aviatrix hat, the 4th I've made - such an great pattern. The pattern is free on Ravelry.


To match, a pair of bootees using the Saartje's Bootees pattern, also free on Ravelry and the third time I've made them. The straps seem a little fiddly but are actually quite straightforward to make, and hopefully should be relatively secure. You may note my use of a neutral colour (it's a lovely soft merino wool) with the blue buttons, added when I found out the baby's gender. Clever, huh?

I also made this kitty:


The pattern is from Sue Havens' 'Make Your Own Toys' book. It was really pretty quick to make and is a great way to use scraps - there are pieces of my houndstooth NL6000 here, my cord Beignet, my green Rooibos, and an off cut of a green wool skirt I shortened plus some extra pieces of fat cord, which I thought would be nice and tactile.


It was the first project I made from the book but I can see it's going to be a favourite for baby gifts. A lot of the projects are on the 'weird-cute' side and I was slightly worried that the result might be 'Frankenstein's Cat', but I think he's turned out well. It's also quicker than knitting a toy from scratch.

Miaow!

Haas anyone else made anything from this book? I haven't seen it on any other blogs so do let me know if you'd like me to share some more information about it.

Kx

16 comments:

  1. Oooh those cute little shoes! I bet they take hardly any wool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the kitty! I have the Wee Wonderfuls book (it's a similar concept I think) but have been afraid that the sewing would be too wee, so I haven't tried anything yet. I love that Aviatrix hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So CUTE! I love the kitty too. With his body being cut on the bias in wide-wale needlecord, it looks like he is just MEANT to be lounging on his side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Saartje's bootie pattern and have used it as well. You paired it nicely with this hat - it totally speaks "boy". I've done the same thing before, knitting in a neutral color, than adding a trim and buttons in another color (at the last minute) and it looks like you just knew all along. A great and sneaky trick.

    The kitty looks pretty great too. This kid will never have to worry about a friend confusing it for his toy, since this is unique as it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Aviatrix is great. Have made the Saarjte's booties and ♥, ♥, ♥ them.

    Oh, your kitty is AdorAble ! ! ! ! You created a wonderful kitty.

    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute scrappy kitty. I pinned it so I could admire it again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky baby!! They're all beautiful!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely gifts for a very lucky baby. I've knitted the booties, but can never get the straps to look good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these are so cute- Love the colour combo of the brown and blue :) And the cat is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they are all so cute!! I love that kitty so much I pinned it to Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwa I love the hat and booties and the kitty is so cute! I will have to look at getting that book as I find it so difficult to craft for little boys and this looks like it might solve my problem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh love your crafting, the booties are so cute! And excellent luck with the patterns from last past too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh golly, these are so cute! I love the pairing of the neutral color with the blue buttons (especially like the owl button!)! Really, really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow they are looking awesome and specially the shoes are so cute and so is the color combination,I think kids love gifts most they need them frequently and your suggestion are good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I passed a Sunshine Award onto you. No obligation to participate though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say