Crestfallen about Crescent

As you may know I have been participating in the Crescent skirt sewalong on Sewaholic's blog. After some reservations about the fabric I had chosen, the skirt was really growing on me and I was looking forward to wearing it. I loved the shape of it, particularly the slash pockets, and had been very much enjoying the sewalong.

Last week I shared my progress with my skirt and by now I should have it finished, and be wearing it. But no. As I was getting onto the final stages where I could try it on, I realised it was going to be too big for me. I thought I'd be able to get away with it, but actually it's far too large. I measured the waist and found it was much larger than I expected. Checking the measurements on the pattern packet I realised the reason - I had cut a size too big. Argh! What a stupid mistake.




I thought it might look okay sitting a bit lower on my hips, but actually it looks very unflattering - not sure how well the photos show this, but it really is too big.


 See how much nicer it would look if it was the right size?


All that remains to be done on the skirt is to hem it, but since I know I won't be wearing it in its current state, I don't feel particularly inclined to do so. I don't want to have an unfinished item, but I haven't decided what the best course of action would be - finish it and leave it languishing in the cupboard? Finish it and give it to someone? I would like to try and make it fit me, but due to the construction of the skirt waistband I don't know how best to alter it - I don't think my skills are up to it yet. I've also considered taking it to a proper alterations shop to get it done. It's so frustrating when something you've been working on turns out to be a disappointment. Sigh....


K x

4 comments:

  1. Oh I feel your pain, I bet you're kicking yourself over that silly mistake! I thought it looked OK actually until the last photo where you show what it SHOULD look like - much better. Can't offer any advice unfortunately, just sympathy! Hope you manage to find a way with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! I've had this happen to me before and it stinks!! My best advice is to unpick the skirt and take everything in to fit properly. It is a daunting prospect, but really, really worth it.

    The skirt is so lovely that it would be such a huge shame if you didn't wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy and Sarah! Thanks for your comments. It's super annoying, but I think you're right Sarah. I'm going to leave it for the minute but I will at some point get around to unpicking (sob!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! I sympathise, thats exactly the kind of thing I would do... It might be worth leaving a comment for Tasia at the sewaholic blog asking about how to adjust the waistband? I'm sure she would be able to give you some tips. I'd put it away for a while and work on something else!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say