It's the Simple Things...

...that make sewing exciting.


I made covered buttons for my Beignet skirt in needlecord. For some reason, I've never made covered buttons before, but I absolutely LOVE these. They're so easy and quick to put together too. I've used the same fabric for inside the pockets:


I also love the process of putting the pockets into this skirt, and seeing it come together. I do love sewing, but find that even on projects that I enjoy, I still find little lulls where I don't feel motivated to get the sewing machine out. It's moments like seeing the pockets, or making covered buttons that provide a little bit of excitement to push the project on.

I'm not sure I can get this skirt finished for my self-imposed deadline. It's on its way to being made, but I don't want to push so hard to get it done that I'm not enjoying the process. It seems to be a fine line to tread between being motivated and pushing too hard to meet deadlines. On the whole, the goals I've set myself have been really helpful and most importantly, achievable. Maybe sometimes it's just nice to slack off a bit and break your own rules?

K x

8 comments:

  1. Thought you might like this: http://magpiemimi.blogspot.com/2011/04/leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those buttons and the pockets too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you - they're ace! I've tried covered buttons before but they didn't come out anywhere near as neat as those.

    If you're not feeling the love with the sewing, give yourself a break. No point beating yourself up over something that's supposed to be for pleasure is there? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking fantastic!! I love the polka dot buttons and lining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I love the pairing of the fabrics! I had purchased a fabric-covered button kit for my beignet too, did you use a kit or follow a tutorial or just figure it out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments! I think I used what would be considered a kit, but of the most simple kind. It's just the front and back of the button and instructions on how big to cut the fabric and then put it together. I will put together a post this weekend to show what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The buttons are lovely. You've just inspired me to go get a cover button maker.
    Sewing is a funny thing right? I understand what you mean about trying to meet your deadlines. I find that I sew better when I don't make deadlines. I know I have to finish it, but I am not trying to rush. In the end, I make it faster, and better than if I set myself a deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love! I really like the contrast of the needlecord and the lining you've chosen, and the covered buttons are lovely. Re deadlines - I could do with a few of those at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say