Work in Progress Wednesday

 
My Ásta Sóllilja sweater. 

I am really happy with the colour combination. The darkest green I chose (it's at the bottom of the stack of colours, between the main green and turquoise) is maybe a little subtle but I think there are plenty of other strong colours to make up for that. The main colour wouldn't have been one I'd choose to make a whole jumper out of but I think it works beautifully with the contrasting colours - and it is all about the yoke after all. Speaking of which, the desire to get to the yoke seems to make me knit faster. All of this body knitting was done in about 2 weeks of evening-time knitting, which is fast for me.
I took my knitting on holiday and neglected to bring enough colours to knit beyond the green of the body hem. I started to knit the sleeve cuffs instead, knitting two at a time on the same needle using magic loop for the first time ever. I knew roughly what magic loop was but this tutorial explained it perfectly. It's from the infamous 'For Dummies' series, so is nice and clear As for the 'two at a time' knitting, I highly recommend this tutorial. It explains it very clearly and also in a nicely hand-holdy way tells you 'Keep going' and 'You're doing it right'. Sometimes I like my tutorials to the point but other times, virtual encouragement is great.

K x

17 comments:

  1. Ooh it's gorgeous! I fancy trying that 'two at a time' technique some time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go! It's a little baffling at first but such a clever technique

      Delete
  2. WOW - gorgeous is definitely the word! I love those colors and your tension looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! And well done on the really good colour choice. This is going to be a beautiful sweater and ready just in time for the Scottish summer :))

    I always admire people who knit, I'm just too impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! This is looking gorgeous. Those colours are beautiful, especially the sea green at the hem. I have knitted socks on a magic loop, but haven't tried the two at a time thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go Lynne! It's a clever technique and takes away the daunting thought of the 2nd sock/sleeve

      Delete
  5. Scrummy. I see you're a Symphonie user too, very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A big fan here. After problems with the finer wood needles breaking in the past, if it happens again I'll be replacing with non-wood. Though I do love the feel of knitting with those laminated wood needles with their lovely sharp points

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous colours! I too am a fan of the 'magic loop' technique. Look forward to seeing the yoke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really looking beautiful! Your color scheme is so unusual and so pretty! And I agree with you- I whizzed through my colorwork sweater because I was desperate to get to the yoke! It's very motivating. :) However, the fingering-weight sweater I'm starting for my husband will probably be a different story. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, that's very generous of you to knit a lightweight jumper for someone else! I've knit a couple of short sleeve jumpers in 4 ply and have sworn never again as it takes so long. I hope you're impressing on him how lucky he is!

      Delete
  8. OMG this is going to be seriously stunning when finished. Can't wait to see it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see more! Intrigued if the pattern is repeated on the sleeve cuffs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see more! Intrigued if the pattern is repeated on the sleeve cuffs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say