Finished Object: Simplicity 2593 Cynthia Rowley Top

 
Pattern Used
Simplicity 2593 Cynthia Rowley top. I made View A, a sleeveless top with a twisted band at the neckline. There are no facings as neckline and armhole edges are bound with bias strips.
 

Does it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? 
Yes, it does. I made a mistake with the neckline - it is made of a piece of material cut on the bias, made into a tube then twisted and hand sewn on. I managed not to cut my tube on the bias, as I was trying to be clever and fold the fabric as if I was making seamless bias binding. I messed up, and it ended up being cut  out the normal way. You could get away with piecing bits together for the neckline, as it is twisted. I think I've got away with my mistake, the neckline probably doesn't sit as flat as it should, but the design is pretty forgiving.
 

Were the instructions easy to follow? 
Overall, yes. With this version of the top, one thing to watch out for is that you have to cut 1.5 cm around the armhole edges before putting the bias strips around. This had been highlighted in another review I read so I was aware it needed to be done, although it would be easy to miss, due to the way it is written in the instructions. Unfortunately after smugly doing the required cutting on one armhole, I then applied the bias strip to the uncut armhole and then had to cut the edge off. Grrrr. Luckily I had just enough fabric to make another bias strip.
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I really liked the bias bound edges, although making the tape and trying to fold it was really fiddly. I like the feature neckline, though time will tell how practical it is and how well it sits.
 
Fabric & Notions
Some kind of  man-made fabric from a charity shop. I wasn't sure which was the 'right' side - one side is mostly mustard and the other is more blue/purple lustre. I decided to use the mustard side for the main part of the top and then use the reverse side for the neckline, to make a feature of the fabric.

I only just had enough to make the top, and one negative about the fabric was the little stubby reflective blue fibres which were a bit of a pain at edges when the fabric was cut.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
I cut a 12, though the finished size turned out larger than I wanted. I brought it in at the sides by a couple of centimetres.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
I would sew it again - I'm thinking of making a plain version without the feature neckline and using coloured/patterned bias tape. I would recommend it, it's a pretty straightforward make.

Cost
Under £10 - fabric about £2, pattern £4 on sale, and I had to buy a new spool of thread.
 
Conclusion
I think this will be a useful top and am planning to make it again, and am pleased with how it has turned out. I'm hoping to get some wear out of this during Me Made June.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely! I made the plain version, but I think I might give this version a go too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, super cute! I love how you've styled it! Honestly, I wasn't that crazy about the pattern, but now that I've seen yours, I'm a convert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely. I love the fabric. It looks different. It's amazing how nice simple patterns are to make. And you can always change the design details to suit what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great! i've seen this pattern a couple places online...i'm gonna have to hunt one down now. i like that mustard plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments everyone! I wore it today for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute. I mostly like the neckline !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, Just purchased this pattern (and a few others) and I am blogging about others who have made these patterns and you are one of them. Hope you do not mind. I have linked you from my site so others can see your lovely work

    Permalink: http://elationcreations.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/john-lewis-sim…re-all-special

    if this is an issue let me know. :) happy sewing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo I have this pattern but haven't gotten around to trying it. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say