Finished: Vintage Linen Rayon Shirtdress

 
This project combines a pattern I have been wanting to make for ages (about 2 years) with some fabric I bought when I visited Walthamstow Market in June last year. I had an idea that it was to become a shirtdress, and I wanted to make sure I got it made into something and worn before the time to wear linen was behind us for the year - I actually got it finished just before Autumn 2016. Here's the lowdown:

Pattern
New Look Maudella 6038 for a shirt or a shirtdress with a mandarin collar, kimono sleeves, a front part button placket and splits at the side seams.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I loved the sleeves and the overall shape, whilst harbouring some reservations that it may be a bit nightie-like. This was because the outline drawing on the envelope shows that it has no shaping, and as the illustration of the dress shows some kind of scarf being used for a belt.

Fabric & Notions
I used a divine linen rayon mix from The Man Outside Sainsburys, it's a dark, inky blue-black with brown flowers. Karen of Did You Make That? has also made a dress from this fabric too.
Pattern alterations or any design changes
The length as cut was too long - I took a few inches off the length and raised the height of the side split to make sure its proportions matched. I also shaped the side seams slightly to make it more flattering, tapering in at the waist and out again.

Would you sew it again and do anything different next time?
I'd make it again and I think it would be nice with a normal shirt collar too. It would be lovely in a chambray or a plain fabric with a slight drape.
Sleeeeeeeeeves!

Cost
2 metres of fabric at £3/m - £6 (I used less)
Buttons - 60p
Thread, interfacing already in stash
Pattern - About £2

Total - £8.60
Conclusion
If I lived closer to Walthamstow Market I would have a huge fabric stash. That place is amazing!

I'm really happy that I got around to making something with this fabric soon after buying it and I've worn it a couple of times over the winter - with tights! Despite my nightdress fears, I think it looks like an acceptable dress. The small amount of side shaping I added helped, but the drapey fabric makes it flattering. I was a bit unsure of the size of the sleeves and thought that maybe they were too big, but I have made my peace with that now. As the fabric is part rayon it has a nice drape to it, while the linen gives it weight and a lovely texture.

I'll be making it again and trying it as a shirt next time.

K x

14 comments:

  1. So lovely to see the fabric sewn up, what a success Kerry! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice dress, the fabric is great! I always have trouble finishing the seams on this kind of sleeve so that it presses well and doesn't pucker. How have you finished them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! There are sleeve bands that give a neat finish and I think the weave of the fabric is quite forgiving to puckers too

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Lovely fabric, and I like the way the front placket morphs into a pleat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes that's a nice feature isn't it? Though I did puzzle a lot over the construction of that bit!

      Delete
  4. Th7s is lovely, really like those sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Liz, I really like the sleeves too

      Delete
  5. It looks great Kerry! I love those kimono sleeves and the side split. Walthamstow Market has certainly been a big contributor to my fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be in London in May and hoping I can fit in some fabric shopping again :-)

      Delete
  6. I love the dress. The fabric is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a good combination of pattern and fabric

      Delete
  7. it's a winning combo, that pattern and that fabric. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say