NYC Blogger Meet Up

When I told people I was going on holiday to New York City, many of them talked about the fantastic shopping as being an attraction in itself. However since I started sewing, my interest in clothes shopping has nearly disappeared altogether. But of course, fabric shopping is something else. And fabric shopping in New York City's famous Garment District? I don't think it gets much better than that.
  
(L-R) Janice, Marina, Kelli, Cindy, Sonja, Mika, Me, Liz (photo from Liz)

Happily, fabric shopping was also combined with meeting with a group of 7 talented sewing, blogging ladies. I met Sonja, Liz, Mika, Cindy, Janice, Marina and Kelli - I'm sure many of you will be familiar with their blogs but if not, do check them out! Like me, Liz was on holiday in NYC (from Australia) but the rest of the ladies live locally. And most of us were wearing self-made clothing, so there was much examining of each others' outfits - of course.


Fabric at Chic Fabrics

We met outside Parons then Sonja (our meet up organiser) guided us to a store dedicated to linen, and then to Chic Fabrics, before we had lunch. As you would expect, we did as much chatting as shopping. It's always a luxury to be able to speak about your favourite pastime with other people who are just as passionate.

 Mika and I at lunch - check out her beautiful Chantilly!

After lunch we hit the infamous Mood Fabrics i.e. the shop they go to in Project Runway. It did not disappoint. With three floors of beautiful fabrics and notions, getting lost is a strong possibility. Despite its size the shop is well organised, explaining why the Project Runway contestants are able to find what they want within their short time frames!

Entering the hallowed ground of Mood

Fantastic zip selection and very reasonably priced - 50 cents for the short and $1 for the long

 
This is only A PART of the buttons, probably about half

Kelli perusing the selection

After Mood, it was time for a drink and comparison of our purchases:


Before the meet up I had been preparing myself to get overwhelmed by the experience of the Garment District, and I kind of was! The only thing I can compare it to is when I went shopping in Goldhawk Road in London last year and went from shop to shop - I bought a few pieces of fabric but they were slightly weird choices due to my being a little dazed by the choice.

Liz in front of Spandex World

As you would expect, New York trumps London for choice. They even have shops dedicated to zips, trims and spandex! Although I didn't have a specific plan of patterns to buy fabric for, I had a rough idea of a few things I would like to make. And let me tell you, there's nothing like shopping with a group of other seamstresses to encourage your purchases. Eight pairs of fabric-seeking eyes can find a lot of lovely things to buy.

So, want to see what I bought.....?

1. Textured bright red corduroy (it photographs really badly) for a one-seam skirt with a beautifully drape-y US-made rayon, destined to be a blouse (maybe an Alma?).
2. Lightweight paisley print cotton. Maybe for a lined dress if I can stretch it!

 1. Flannel-like fabric in teeny blue and black houndstooth - to be a casual winter dress
2. Red Ikat printed linen - I didn't buy it during the meet up but went back for it because I couldn't resist. Sonja also bought some, and Kelli has already made a blazer out of hers, in the black colourway

 
Selection of bias (they only stuff I ever find at home is hideous and scratchy) plus piping and cute mini rick rack. I also bought some blanket binding to make more blankets like this one. Perfect for the job and much cheaper! I wish we had such a great choice of binding like this, I'm definitely going to look out for it online in the future.

I was pretty impressed that my fabric choices are all around a similar colour palette, which makes me feel like I did good shopping.

If you like sewing and go to New York, you HAVE TO go to the Garment District. I'm pretty sure there's nowhere else like it in the world. If you do go, go with a few ideas in mind and prepare to be overwhelmed. But I promise you won't regret the trip. The only problem is, my local fabric shopping is going to feel a little flat now :)

Thank you to Sonja for organising the meet up and it was lovely to meet you all, ladies.

A couple of days after the meet up I was in H&M with my Current Husband, as he was getting a few things. I was half-heartedly perusing the disappointing selection when I spotted....could it be......a lady wearing a Sorbetto? I looked harder....it definitely was....a pretty one with floral bias trim...very nice. Only after thoroughly looking at the top did I look at the Sorbetto wearer's face - it was Liz! What does that say about me, I wonder?! Definitely the sign of a dedicated seamstress.

K x

I'm going to post a few more holiday photos soon, along with a little giveaway - watch this space!

10 comments:

  1. Oh what a wonderful experience for you! :) I must add this to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What a great day, and the fabric you got is gorgeous. I'm only a little bit jealous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks amazing, love your paisley fabric! Can't wait to get back to NYC, I wanna hear more about your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a nice time! I can't wait to see what you make with the red ikat-- I really can't decide! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide either! But it will have to wait till next year anyway since it's getting too cool to think about it now.

      Delete
  5. What an amazing experience, the rayon is lovely, lucky you! I've been trying to get to Walthamstow market for about 6 months so I don't think NYC is on the cards for me just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had such a great day out with you all. Fancy seeing you in H&M, of all the places in NYC and we happened to be in the same place - that is just freaky. I am looking forward to seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to ask your advice for when I am ready to shop in NY. I have to shop in the garment district since I've started sewing! Crazy.

    It looks like you had such a ball. Gah, NYC is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this post (been a bad blogger lately) - I'm off to NYC next month! What are the prices like compared to the UK? Can you tell me where Mood is exactly please? Hopefully I'll be able to steer my friends there for a quick peek! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg i got the same red ikat linen when I was in NYC in August. I havent decided what to make yet, maybe a skirt or sundress ( i got 2 yards) but that jacket is fab! I wonder if i could squeeze out a short sleeved jacket for next summer?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say