Capsule Wardrobe - How Did I Get on?

Back in January I posted about my mini capsule wardrobe plan, here. Here's how I got on with my plan to make 6 items;

1. Colette Peony dress in green/blue/grey check wool.

 

2. Simplicity 3196 1950s pencil skirt in dark green wool mix fabric



Bit of a story to this one - I bought the pattern in August last year but it was only when I opened it to make for the first time this February that I realised there were pieces missing - aargh! I was able to buy another on eBay in my size, luckily, but it took a month to arrive, as the seller was away. I received it last weekend, and honestly, with the unseasonably warm weather, the last thing I feel like making is a lined, wool pencil skirt! I'm going to put it on hold til Autumn.

3. Blouse with tie collar in unknown man-made fabric with 1930s-style pattern



4. Sewaholic Crescent skirt View A in lightweight denim

 

5. Other top - Jasmine blouse, fabric undecided


I decided to make the Violet blouse instead, using fabric from my stash.

6. Knitted item - Kate Davies' Manu cardigan. 



Shortly after I posted about making this, my mother-in-law told me that she had already bought me some wool for my birthday, which was blue, double knitting, from New Lanark AND enough to make this cardigan - exactly what I was planning to buy, what a lucky coincidence (and a lovely mother-in-law)! However, I am not allowing myself to start this until I finish my Fairisle sweater, which I have been making progress with, honestly.

How do I feel about the project?

Well, 4 out of 6 items isn't bad, and I will definitely be making the pencil skirt later in the year and starting the cardigan fairly soon. Planning my projects made sure that I used some fabric and patterns from my stash, which I was pleased about, and already I can see that some items are getting more wear than others - my denim Crescent is a firm favourite.

Now it's done, I'm really excited to plan the next lot of items I want to make. I'm not going to put a time limit on it this time, so I can be a bit flexible, but I do like having things planned in to make.

What advice would I give to anyone planning to do a similar 'capsule wardrobe'?
  • Think about where the gaps in your wardrobe are. The point of my personal challenge was to create items I would wear frequently.
  • Set a realistic time limit for the project. Over last year I averaged a new item every 2 weeks so used this as a guide to set what I could achieve in 3 months. (In the end, I didn't, but meh, whatever)
  • Build in flexibility - Don't decide on the fabric and pattern for every item at the beginning, you might want to change.
  • Don't give yourself a hard time if you don't do everything you want - I didn't make my goal of 6 items but sometimes other stuff gets in the way. Sewing is my hobby so I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Now I'm excited to show you what I'm planning to make next! I'll be using some of the patterns I've bought recently and some new fabric that I haven't yet shown you. Can't wait!

K x

22 comments:

  1. You've done really well! When I am reunited with my sewing machine I intend to either make a work appropriate dress or a blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you're so good! I'm terrible at sticking to plans. I'm so easily distracted,lol!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blouse in photo 3 - very nice!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Score! I think some of the best advice you can give someone is to set a realistic time frame. It makes my heart sink when I hear of people planning to make a dress in a weekend, because odds are on that person is going to feel despondent on Sunday evening when they haven't made a dress, just created a whole lot of unpicking to do. Take your time, take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it can really take the enjoyment out of it

      Delete
  5. The items you've made so far are lovely and all work together really well, which is the thing about a capsule wardrobe that appeals to me the most. I also find that flexibility with time and what you choose to make is really helpful. Can't wait to see your new project! x
    PS. Thanks for the Mollie Makes tip, I think I was a bit late on the boat but still managed to make myself £80! All thanks to you Kerry! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good stuff on the Mollie Makes - that's a good fabric fund :)

      Delete
    2. Me too! I sold all mine today (about nine issues) and I've made about £120. Thanks very much!

      Delete
  6. Great stuff! You've inspired me to plan my own mini capsule wardrobe. It's so easy to make things that look pretty but hardly ever get worn because they don't suit you/ don't go with anything you have/ are impractical for your climate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made 4 beautiful garments! My fave is the yellow blouse. The fit is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work! I'm still so in love with your #3. Blouse with tie collar. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job Kerry - v inspiring! this is something that I might like to do too - looks like a great way to plan sewing so that you don't end up with lots of "orphans" that don't go with more than one other thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great posting I have read. I like your article.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you've done brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done incredibly well Kestrel, I adore all of your makes! And thanks so much for the tips, I've been thinking about a capsule wardrobe of my own, but have not got very far each time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourite is your Peony, it's so gorgeous! Well done on your realistic view on planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you've done so well with this Kerry. I particularly love your Peony and the 30s style blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, your capsule wardrobe really turned out nicely! All the pieces really suit you and your style! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some very cute items that you've made & I really enjoyed your tips. I am contemplating a fun spin on a capsule wardrobe too .... but it's always the time to make everything isn't it! I do love your Peony ....

    ReplyDelete
  17. The blouse with the tie collar is stunning! I love the fabric - it works perfectly in that style!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say