El Bandito


Woo hoo! I'm delighted to have finished my Aestlight shawl. It took just under a month, on and off, and was a really enjoyable knit.


 Shawl pre-blocking

Post blocking  - you can see how nice the lace and edging look when opened up by blocking

Pattern Used


Aestlight Shawl by Gudrun Johnston, available from Ravelry

Does it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? 

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? 
Overall, yes. It's a well written pattern. There were a couple of bits I had to read more than once but overall it was straightforward.
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I was attracted to the pattern by the structural edging, and the overall design which was bolder than other patterns I've seen. I liked that it's a nice combination of 'easy' knitting (garter stitch triangle) and slightly more challenging knitting (edging) which required more concentration, although it was all pretty straightforward. I liked that the lace pattern was easy to remember and also forgiving of any mistakes - I made a few but they're not too glaring.

I disliked the edging at the point of the shawl - I knitted it twice but am still not 100% happy with how it looks, as there seem to be extra holes where there shouldn't be.

Fabric & Notions 
I used yarn from Ripples Crafts, 100% merino wool in the colour Lipstick

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
None

Would you knit it again? Would you recommend it to others? 

I'd definitely knit it again, I'm delighted with the result and enjoyed making it. I'd highly recommend it, particularly to a new knitter who had never made a shawl before as the pattern is easy to follow and effective.
Cost
The wool was a gift (I used just over one skein) and the pattern cost about £4

Conclusion
I love it and think I'll be getting a lot of wear out of it this Autumn.

Worn with Rosa sweater

11 comments:

  1. Lovely...! I very much like the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!!
    I just started knitting so I'm going to queue this one up for when I get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! That first photo is absolutely brilliant! You are so very clever, I'd love something as fabulous as that and the colour is stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your first pic!!! What a beautiful colour on you as well ad being a gorgeous knit. I'm going to bear this in mind if you say it's a good noobie knit. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just beautiful! The colour is gorgeous on you. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is fab! Impressive stitches and a great colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! I also love the colour, I picked it especially with my camel coloured trench coat in mind, as I love that colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab shawl! Really nice colour and I love the combination of the lacey edging against the garter stitch. I just might have to queue this too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO lovely! i love my aestlight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Lovely sizzling colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely - beautiful colour and much nicer than the pattern example! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say