How Do You Wear Vintage?

I'm a big fan of old stuff. I work in a museum, I love vintage clothing and reading blogs about vintage-related things. I'm about to make my first foray into sewing using proper vintage patterns, but I haven't chosen my fabric yet as I'm still a bit nervous about how to integrate a vintage element into my everyday wardrobe. Currently, when I wear vintage clothing, it tends to be a dress that I'm wearing for a special occasion. I'm keen to bring an element of this into my everyday clothing, but how?

I thought I would look at some ways to wear vintage from some of the blogs I follow - the three I have chosen are probably the ones I've followed for the longest;

  1. Vixen Vintage
I really enjoy Solanah's blog - she has a very enviable wardrobe of gorgeous vintage clothing and I am more than a little jealous of the great finds she makes at yard sales and estate sales. What I like about her blog is the quirky things she finds and the style she has developed, which incorporates vintage clothing from a range of eras.

2. Diary of a Vintage Girl

 
Fleur from Diary of a Vintage Girl is another blogger who is dedicated to vintage, from hair and make up to clothing. Her preferred era is the 1940s, but she is not averse to some repro however, and the above images are an example of a lovely 40s-inspired wrap dress she has created in conjunction with In the Heyday. Like Vixen Vintage, Diary of a Vintage Girl is very much about head to toe vintage. Personally, I don't think I could be bothered to look so perfectly turned out every day! The thing I love about the dress above in particular is that it has a great classic vintage look without being too over the top 'vintage'. I'm not loving the price as it's £80, but it's definitely an item you could wear without feeling like you were dressing up, and despite my love of colour and pattern, it reminds me that plain fabrics can look great too, especially with considered use of detailing.

3. Dear Golden Vintage



One of my absolute favourites, I love Lauren's way of wearing vintage. She selects and wears clothing from the 1920s to the 1970s and finds some absolutely exquisite pieces. Despite wearing clothing from a range of eras, her approach is to make a beautiful and unique item of clothing absolutely her own and make it look like part of her own style. She has an Etsy store in which she sells clothing too.

So, what conclusions can I draw from this? Well, as much as I love reading blogs about looking and dressing fully vintage, it's not for me. I don't want to recreate a specific era or feel like I'm dressing up. I am hoping that using vintage patterns will allow me to create a vintage-influenced look that is affordable, wearable and customised to my own taste.

What are your thoughts on wearing vintage? How do you incorporate it into your wardrobe?

K x

4 comments:

  1. I have only recently started wanting to add vintage items into my wardrobe, especially 1940s style. Since I sew, my goal is to make the items myself using current fabrics that still have a vintage feel to them.

    My first project is the 1940s swing dress with Casey's Sew Along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, sounds like you're thinking along similar lines to me. I think a sew along is a good way to start with vintage sewing too. Good luck with your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sewing with vintage patterns and I DO wear what I make, just not always all at the same time! I do find I get odd looks at work if I do the whole 1950's thing, but if it is just a skirt or blouse, nobody seems to notice. I suppose it depends whether you want to be noticed or not! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right Roobeedoo, it's nice when people admire your clothes but it's very different to being stared at!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting - I love to hear what you have to say